[TOEFL] finding traces of the past - Does past pass values on our present lives?

solitaire 1 / -  
Learning about the past has no value for those of us living in the present. Do you agree or disagree? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

History has kept records of a wide array of things and events, no matter good or bad, positive or negative. Those contents of history have been passed onto the descendants as experiences and precedents. Indeed, oftentimes we have to make decisions or judge whether an incident is right or wrong, based on our knowledge about the past. Therefore, there is no denying that the past has a great influence on our present lives.

The Art Of war, a book by a great ancient philosopher, Sun-Zi, can best explain that. Intelligent tactics used in the ancient and historical battles have been well-illustrated in this book, so people of the time can apply them in the business or trading industries to help them manipulate their careers. Businessmen or magnates from all walks of life often attribute their success to 'The Art Of War'. This explains very well about the impact that the past has exerted on us.

The past of a person's life can also teach us many things. When we look at those Hollywood celebrities, we do not only regard the shiny side of their lives on TV but also the moral lessons that we need to learn. For example, Brad Pitt, a famous actror in the United States, adopted many African and Chinese kids to show his loving for the world. However, Amy Winehouse, a British singer who just deceased a year ago gave us a dire warning of the abuse of drugs and how important it is to avoid them. Thus, we can also gain a lot from people's past and reflect the morals that we have learned on ourselves.

Due to the wide application of the past in people's work and people's lives, the past definitely imposes great amount of values on us. Maybe there are still some people who are not aware of the importance and power of the past. However, if they check more carefully, they will be able to find traces of the past in every corner of their present lives.

Thanks in advance. Really appreciate your help!!
History has kept records of a wide array of things and events, no matter good or bad, positive or negative

beautiful start :)

Indeed, oftentimes we have to make decisions or judgments onwhether an incidents whether they areis right or wrong, based on our knowledge about what happened in the past.

---------- i feel it is better to keep it plural; that reads well :)

Therefore, there is no denying that the past has a great influence on our present livesand future .

Beautiful introduction... Good vocabulary, Logically presented ideas.... I enjoyed reading the intro :)

Home / Writing Feedback / [TOEFL] finding traces of the past - Does past pass values on our present lives?