The first car appeared on British roads in 1888. By 2020 may be as many as 29 million vehicles.

samkmas 3 / 5  
IELTS : Alternative forms of transport should be encouraged?

The first car appeared on British roads in 1888. By the year 2020 there may be as many as 29 million vehicles on British roads. Alternative forms of transport should be encouraged and international laws introduced to control car ownership and use. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Compared with the past, there are much more vehicles used by people. Some studies show that by the year 2020, 29 million vehicles are being driven on British roads. It comes up with many problems such as traffic congestion, air pollutions and sound pollutions etc.. Some Government officials aware of this importance, so they want to introduce some additional measures to control the use of car and cars' ownship such as by legislation.

I agree with the view of encouraging people to reduce the use of car and its ownship and to try using public transport. There are several reasons supporting my standpoint. First of all, we all know vehicle is one of the reasons causing global warming, since vehicles emits tons of carbon dioxide everyday by using petrol to work. More vehicles driving on the road, more emission will be exhausted. So not only the environment is being affected, the respiratory system of human being is also seriously damaged at all. To control the number of car using on the road is an effective measure to reduce the air pollution, so if more people can use public transport to work, it not only help reduce the traffic congestion, but also conserve our environment better.

We all live in this planet which is also the only one. If we don't treasure our environment, our next generation will live in a worse place which is full of pollutant and plagues. Sicknesses or diseases might be rampant all over the world. I do hope that this phenomenon will not occur, so it is evitable that we should aware of conserving our environment every minute and every moment.
fikri 5 / 317 71  
It comes up with many problems such as traffic congestion, air pollutions and sound pollutions etc.. and so on

in IELTS task 2, you should mention other views instead of your statement/opinion
eddies [Contributor] 25 / 1,208 476  
Could you provide some sample essays for me to take a reference? Thanks a lot.

Here is the sample (page 77) retrieved from IELTS official website: ielts.org/PDF/Vol4_Report2.pdf

Perhaps you may start analyzing the prompt as to how to give a response.
1. Background information

The first car appeared on British roads in 1888. By the year 2020 there may be as many as 29 million vehicles on British roads.

This is background information only. Not to be ignored, as it can be a vital source of both ideas and vocabulary.

2. The problem
Next comes an opinion based statement which introduces the question and poses a specific problem:

Alternative forms of transport should be encouraged and[b]international laws introduced to control car ownership and use .

This is the part to note. The topic may be transport in general; but reading carefully it is more precisely:

3. The task

To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Home / Writing Feedback / The first car appeared on British roads in 1888. By 2020 may be as many as 29 million vehicles.