'my first day on a new job' - narrative essay

evadfa 3 / 7 1  
I need some help with my essay. I have a little bit written down. My instructor says that it is a good idea, but I need to structure it more as a story. Can anyone help me with more ideas and how to expand on it?

Thanks.

I still remember my first day on a new job. I went to an interview, but since I was placed by a temp agency, it was basically a formality because I went through the hiring process and was hired on that same day. I went through all the typical hiring procedures, filling out forms (eligibility to work, W-4, background checks) and a drug test. This particular job also had a different type of test that related to the type of job I was hired for, a test to rate the ability to read a tape measure. After all the I's were dotted and the T's crossed, I was thrust onto the factory floor. I was introduced to my supervisor, and taken on a short tour around the building and then quickly turned over to an employee named Ernie, who unknowingly was assigned to train me. I knew nothing about what I was being trained to do, only that I would be helping to build fancy motor homes and they were put together much like a house is built. I was very nervous about doing something like this, something I had little to no experience in.

The day progresses into meeting other coworkers, following Ernie into the motor home, and being shown how each piece of material fit and what my responsibilities are as it pertained to my department. It is crowded inside the motor home. People are moving about doing their own tasks. It is very cool to me to see how things operated. I began to get interested in how these vacation luxury liners are put together, and what it takes to manufacture them.

There is a sense of people being rushed about like trying to meet a deadline. This is due to being shorthanded, and having been in a newer building for a short time, still adjusting to new layouts and surroundings. I realized this will be a fast paced, crowded work environment, everyone vying for time to do their specific job in as little time as possible.
janajackson 4 / 9  
Yes, I like where you're getting but I suggest you add an anecdote in this essay. I really like this, but remember you want to Show, not tell.

Home / Writing Feedback / 'my first day on a new job' - narrative essay