TOEFL: Is first impression enough to know about person's character..?

ana_p 27 / 81  
Hi,

Some people trust their first impressions about a person's character because they believe these judgments are generally correct. Other people do not judge a person's character quickly because they believe first impressions are often wrong. Compare these two attitudes. Which attitude do you agree with? Support your choice with specific examples.

There are many types of people in this world. Some people are very straight with others and some are not. I don't think that we can judge any person's character in first meeting. When we meet someone first time, it is for sure that he or she will try to behave properly and finely. Not only he or she but we also try to behave properly with them when we meet them first time. Everyone try to behave properly when they meet someone first time. So, I don't think that first impression is enough to know about the person's character.

When I tried to judge someone's character on his first impression, I felt that I was wrong about that person. I believe that, we can judge any person's character only after knowing him or her. We cannot judge about any person's character and give opinion about him only on the basis of his first impression, chances of knowing wrong are more. Once we give our opinion about that person only on the basis of first impression, we lose the chances knowing more about that person. I can explain this with my own experience. I remember after my marriage, first time I met with my husband's friend and then after some days we all went together for our vacation this was our second meeting. There, we played a game in that we had to give our opinion about others. I gave my opinion about him without thinking only on the basis of his first impression but after some days, I felt that I was wrong about him. He is totally different guy and no one can judge about his character in first meeting.

On other hand, many people believe that, "First impression is the last impression" and on that basis they can judge that person's character. But, I cannot judge anyone's character only on his first impression.

Please check my short essay and suggest me some more ideas. I could not explain the other view with examples.

Thank you,
Ana.
OP ana_p 27 / 81  
I think below given conjunction will work I am not sure. Is it grammatically correct? Please confirm.

"I remember after my marriage (WHEN) first time I met with my husband's friend.... "

After watching such mistakes I feel like I am loosing my confidence. I really need to work hard but I don't understand how to...? I am planning to give my TOEFL exam in next month and I am worrying that I be able to score or not...? My English is very bad. Please suggest me something to improve my English.
Athena - / 83 3  
Hi Ana,

Correction : I remember after my marriage when I met my husband's friend for the first time...

I am glad that you're sincerely trying to improving your English :) I would suggest reading newspapers and magazines on a regular basis and closely observing the sentence structures. Also, try as many essays as possible as part of your TOEFL preparation.

Don't lose confidence!! I'm sure you'll do well :)

All the Best!

.
OP ana_p 27 / 81  
Hey Athena,

Thank you very much. That was very useful. I 'll start accordingly and my essay practice is going on. Hope this will help to improve my English.

Thanks again.

Ana.

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL: Is first impression enough to know about person's character..?