Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

PERSONAL ESSAY, does it fit? (Pose an original question and answer it.)

samosa 3 / 4  
Pose an original question and answer it. (500 words or less):

Imagine that you've just finished writing your very own autobiography. Write down page 165.

...The trees seemed to blur past me as the car picked up speed. Singing along with 3 Doors Down, my cousin held my icy left hand in sweaty palms. He must've realized that I was feeling worse than before, because he quickly turned off the radio and pulled the car over. I didn't notice that I was drifting into a deep sleep, but when he turned the engine off and the humming of the heat came to a halt, I opened my eyes. However, after what seemed like less than a second, I shut them again, for a pain in the back of my head wouldn't allow me to look at anything other than the darkness within my head. I tried to mumble my permission for him to continue driving, but all that came out was a grunt and a disturbing sound of pain.

My cousin leaned over and felt my forehead with the back of his hand and quickly pulled his hand away once he touched my skin. He started the car and put the heat on full blast and aimed all the vents at my feet, hands, and head. He got back on the road and after that, I drifted away and became unaware of my surroundings. The piercing sound of the IV Machine brought me back to life and I felt cold hands pressing down on my stomach. Waking up, I was face to face with a tall figure wearing scrubs. Her lips kept moving, but all I heard was the echo of the machine. Finally, after the sound left my head, I heard my mother asking me to answer the lady.

"Do you feel any pain when I press here? How about here? Are you feeling any better?" These questions charged at me one after another and all I managed to reply was "Good." I felt as if I hadn't spoken for ages and feared that my breath might have been reeking because of that. My mother was there and I was extremely thankful for that. She came over with tears welling in her eyes and sat down next to me. Stroking my hair, she said with utter disappointment, "If you want to lose weight, you can't go ahead and starve yourself. I've told you time and time again to eat healthy. I was afraid that a day like this would come, and here we are. Why don't you listen?"

Not at all did I ever fear ending up in the hospital, as much as I feared making my mom cry. According to the nurse, I lost 17 pounds in the past two weeks and I needed all the potassium and water that my body could take through the IVs. Two nights later, I was released and bombarded with guests and phone calls. I didn't take my health as seriously as I should've but once I opened my refrigerator door, I felt like a new person. The sight of my mother tearing flashes every now and then when the thought of skipping a meal enters my mind...

Home / Writing Feedback / PERSONAL ESSAY, does it fit? (Pose an original question and answer it.)