Fixed punishment or flexible one?

Linh Hoang 5 / 12 2  
Some people think that there should be fixed punishment for each type of crime. Other, however, argue that the circumstances of individual crime, and the motivation to committing it, should always be taken into account, when deciding on the punishment

Discuss both these view and give your own opinion?

There are many arguments for both views of whether we should have fixed punishment for each type of crime or not.
On the one hand, fixed punishment has some advantages. It can be clear for individuals about what certain punishment they will be got when intending to commit a crime. It helps the judge become easier and more convenient. Moreover, fixed penalties also lead to stability in society because people will consider carefully before acting whatever. However, it has some down sides. Fixed punishment sometime is absolutely arbitrary. If people know exactly things they will be punished, they can find the way to avoid it because the law is required to accurate to each detail. On the other hand, the instance and the motivation to committing crime need to be examined before deciding anything. It is clear that crime of killing people for self-defense is absolutely different from serial killing. We cannot judge as the same one. Considering carefully is always a prerequisite for ensuring justice and equity.

From my point of view, there have to be fixed punishment for almost crime except for something which are serious crimes such as criminal one. The government should range penalties from minimum to maximum, and then basing on each situation to generate decision. The Law also have been foreseeable any exception. For example, people who make damage for another should remedy according to the level of harm, it is not the same in each case. We also see that some person killing for self-defense will be innocent in some particular situations. Or in some countries, the law exempts thieves stealing the food in period of famine, the need for food seem not a crime.

Overall, the answer maybe lies at the middle. We should not fix all of punishment. Everything need be flexible to protect interest of citizens.
ammus1 10 / 29  
Linh, I read ur essay, I feel that ur introduction is too short and better to state ur opinion in the introduction itself . Moreover, leave a space inbetween in the paragraphs and try to write good conclusion, which will help you to impress the examiner and get a good score.
Well, I have a few admin requests - First, mention the purpose, e.g. IELTS, TOEFL etc. in the title itself so that we can provide you with more task related feedbacks. Also this thread should have been opened in the WRITING FEEDBACK forum which is the most appropriate forum for this task. This has been moved from Grammar Usage to Writing Feedback. Also, you should have only one essay per thread. So we had to remove your other essays keeping the first one here.

Please follow these forum rules that help both us and you. :)
eddies [Contributor] 25 / 1,208 476  
A few notes:
1. The first thing the reader sees is your layout, which shows whole of your essay. If the layout is difficult to read, which is let's say: no spaces between paragraphs, then he/she immediately knows your writing needs more work to read. Hence, I suggest you to leave one space every time you open a new paragraph.

2. A writer needs to keep in mind that the intro is often what a reader remembers best. Your intro should be the best part of your essay. If you could, state your own opinion in the introduction itself with a statement expressing your opinion very clearly. That helps you take the reader in your desired direction.

As eddies say, you need to pay more attention to your lay out . The above is not a good intro for your essay.

Home / Writing Feedback / Fixed punishment or flexible one?