Don't Focus Only on Grades

tlampard 1 / -  
Nowadays, joblessness is a big problem all over the world. Many people can't find a job. Among them are a lot of people who are good students in college with very-high grades. There are many causes to explain for this strange situation, but most respondents who were their supervisors answered that they lacked general knowledge. For this reason, things which they study from schools are really necessary. Therefore, focusing only on grades is not a good way to succeed in life.

Obviously, grades are not the only goal schools expect their students to achieve. Today, almost all students who go to school think that what they need is grades. But teachers actually want their students to learn about knowledge, ethics, communication, etc. They try their best to teach those for their students because they know what shall need for students' life in the future. Besides, suppose one student only with his good grades went out of schools, he maybe can be obtained a job. But, without good behavior or communicating ability, how can he work with other ones in his company? And one thing we can predict is finally he will be laid off. There are many things else which students need to learn from schools, it is really a disadvantage if students ignore them and just focus on grades.

In addition, focusing on grades just makes students more tired. The number of stressed students is more and more every day. Some students today are too concerned about their grades. Consequently, they always study and work under enormous pressure from own themselves which can make them stressed. Moreover, it also can make them feel weary and finally give up their career. Besides, when students became tired, they wasted time recovering their health. With those times, they could attend the activities which were helpful for society or their own family. Those activities could be helping old people, teaching for illiterates or cleaning their home, etc. It really was a big loss with their family as well as the society. What a pity that someone must lose their health just because of the "numbers"!

And the worst thing is students who need high grades will do everything to get them even though bad actions. For example, a student hadn't learnt that test before and he tricked his teacher to open book. In the other hand, some students after finished the test which they think it was not good tried to persuade their teachers to redo the test or raise their grades. As we know, actions will make habits. When they did those, they gradually became their habits and then they applied it in their life in order to have something they wanted. Imagine a person who got high grades from deceptive actions. Afterward when he continues it in his life, how he can be happy with himself because he knows what he did. Therefore, bartering their own conscience for high grades is clearly not a good swap which students should do.

Success cannot be achieved just by high grades. Bill Gates who is the former CEO and current chairman of Microsoft shows us how true this fact is. With the new ideas, knowledge and confidence he had, he decided to drop out of college. As we see, he succeeded without a degree or diploma in college. These once again proved that how not important grades are. But, if someone gets all failing grades, it's certainly not a way to succeed, too. Accordingly, trying to acquire all knowledge and to use it in concrete situations will be a best way to succeed in life today.
Athena - / 83 3  
Hi Terry,

Wonderful essay!

I just felt that you could edit this part:

Obviously, grades are not the only goal, that schools expect their students to achieve.

And in the last para:TheseThis once again proved that how not important grades are.

All the Best :)

Home / Writing Feedback / Don't Focus Only on Grades