Should or should not following local culture when travelling?

sophie789 7 / 11  
Please help me check this essay. Thank you so much :)

Some people believe that visitors to other countries should follow local customs and behavior. Others disagree and think that the host countries should welcome cultural differences. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion?

As there is little room for doubt that tourism is one of the most fastest- growing industries in the world, people in recent years have witnessed an increasing number in transnational travel. However, this trend still remains a source of constant debate whether visitors should respect indigenous conventions when travelling or local areas should adopt the cultural diversity. This essay will illuminate both sides of the issue before my own perspective is stated.

The initial reason why locals should accept different culture is absolutely to show their great hospitality. Travellers, if receiving a warm welcome from original inhabitants, will feel much more fascinated to explore numerous interesting things about these countries: ancient history, cultural traits, or even time-honoured customs, to name but a few. Their families and friends thus will be shared the precious experience in the local culture once they come back home, assisting native countries to promote their tourist attractions. As utilizing this free word-of-mouth marketing, the considerable worldwide fame could be promptly attained, thereby gaining more employment opportunities in the tourism industry as well as yielding high income for locals. In addition, as for most visitors, normally they pay a visit to the other land over short period. This means that it is not adequate time for them to merge into local traditions; hence, with this acceptable reason, they should be sympathized by indigenous inhabitants albeit little unexpected displeasure.

On the other hand, there is another pool of thought contending that visitors should blend into religious traditions in regard to several rationales. Firstly, as there goes a saying " When in Rome, do as the Romans do", travellers would preclude some unexpected embarrassement or unwanted things coming about once following indigenous customs. By way of illustration, driving on the right side of the road as they do in their motherland when visiting Britain that is a left-hand traffic country, what will happen to Vietnamese people? The second justification that should be noted is that to most travellers, their prime purpose when travelling is to learn different culture and to sample various ways of life. Only by adopting local conventions can visitors immerse themselves in native environment and well savour the local culture.

All things considered, I take my own stance that indigenous inhabitants should welcome the cultural diversity in their homeland for either economic stimulation or promoting their country to the rest of the world. It is, nonetheless, of paramount importance that visitors should respect native long-standing traditions as much as possible so as to acculturate to the native environement, simultaneously co-build a harmonious multi-cultural community throughout the world.
Athena - / 83 3  
Dear Sophie,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your essay. The manner in which you put forward your thought and opinions was really good. :)

I just felt that you could try making the sentences in the second paragraph a little shorter.

The initialforemost/main reason ...

Travellers, if receiving a warm welcome from original inhabitants, will feel muchIf the travelers receive a warm welcome from the original inhabitants,...

All the best!

Home / Writing Feedback / Should or should not following local culture when travelling?