IELTS- Should foreign visitors pay more than local visitors for tourist sites?

SAM2014 8 / 13 3  
Foreign visitors should pay more than local visitors for cultural and historical attractions. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
The following is my essay. Please kindly help me to correct it and give me some suggestions to improve

There have been more and more people travel to other countries to enjoy their holidays in recent decades. It is argued that foreign visitors should be charged more than local residents to visit cultural and historical attractions. I completely disagree with this opinion.

It would be unjustified if ticket prices of the tourist sites for an international visitor are higher than that for a local visitor. Firstly, as these sites serve as places in which people can enjoy themselves and get educated, they are considered to be goods and the customers from all around the world should have equal rights for it. A gap on the prices would certainly result in unfairness among travelers. Secondly, oversea visitors would feel less welcome if they need to pay more to enter these sites. They might have an impression that they are given less importance than the local people.

A higher price for foreign visitors would have a negative impact on a nation's economy as well as international communication. If travelers realized that they have to pay more to visit historic and cultural sites in a particular country, they would perhaps decide not to go to that country on holiday. As a result, the number of foreign visitors would decrease which makes the country suffer from reduce of international communication and potential trades.

In conclusion, I believe that there should not be any difference among the ticket prices of historical and cultural attractions for people from different countries. Otherwise, it would be unfair for the oversea customers and the country would suffer from drawbacks in economy and international communication.
Sam, I will revise and review your essay by showing you how the content can be improved. My comments will be in green text.

- More and more people have traveled to other countries over the recent decades for vacation. These tourists visit cultural and historical attractions on the same days that the citizens of a country also visit it. However, both kinds of visitors to these sites pay the same rate. Recently, the public has become divided concerning the entrance fees to these places. It is believed by some that since tourists are the main reason that these destinations are built and maintained, they should pay more than the locals for the privilege of visiting these places. I do not agree with that statement for a number of reasons.

- Your introduction was incomplete. I just showed you how to improve it.

- One cannot justify the reason as to why tourists should pay more than locals for the privilege of visiting a tourist site. Everyone is a tourist in a country, even its own citizens. It is a place where all people gather to learn more about the country and its history. Therefore, the people who go there should shoulder the same expenses, since they enjoy the same privileges anyway. Tourists would definitely shy away from visiting certain attractions if they had to pay more than the locals to get in. It could lead the tourists to think that the country is only after taking their money but not really letting them enjoy the attractions of the country.

- You already presented solid reasons in the previous statement. Now you should present the opposing point of view and show how that argument is weak. By doing so, you further strengthen your personal argument.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS- Should foreign visitors pay more than local visitors for tourist sites?