General writing task 1: A formal complaint to retaurant

bbqguy 1 / 1  

formal complaint to retaurant

You have eaten at a restaurant and it was such a terrible experience that you have decided to inform the manager by letter of what happened and that you want your money back. Things to include:

- Facts. You need to be concise but explain what happened.
- Polite. No one responds to insults.
- Outline what you wish from this. What do you want to happen?
- Firmness. You want to be taken seriously.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing this letter regarding the terrible experience that I had in your restaurant last Saturday.

Last Saturday, my family and I went to your restaurant for dinner. At first, I was pleased by your welcoming crew members and speedy services. Everything went well until they served me the wrong doneness of the steak. I have ordered a well-done wagyu steak that day, but they served me rare wagyu steak. It was too raw for me to eat. In addition, I could see the blood coming out from the meat.

Therefore, I would appreciate if you could refund the cost of the meal to me and speak to your kitchen crews about this matter. Outback steakhouse is one of my favorite restaurant for dining, I hope action will be taken by your side in order to avoid the case to be happened again.

I hope that my request does not cause you any convenience.

Your faithfully,
Jayden Lee
The discussion paragraphs are not complete. There should still be 4 paragraphs in this presentation because of the following discussion reasons:

1. A proper introduction that indicates the name of the restaurant, the date, and the time of the visit. You may also include the name of the host and waiter assigned if you would like to.

2. A summary of the overall meal must be presented. Discuss how everyone enjoyed their order and how please they were with the staff service.

3. The third paragraph should indicate what the problem with your food was. In your current version, you do not indicate having tried to resolve the issue at the table by calling the attention of the server and host. Your reason for filing the complaint should be on the basis of their inaction regarding the situation. Why did they refuse to change the food after you informed them of the wrong order? What solutions did they suggest if any?

4. After explaining the events that occurred, then you can demand that only the portion of your meal be refunded. You cannot as for a full refund as there were no problems with the other orders. Do not forget to include your contact information beyond just your email address.

You have mixed up present and past tense usage in the essay which will result in a lowered GRA score. The word count is also not enough to gain full scoring consideration for the LR and C+C scores. That was the result of not writing the correct number of paragraphs and also, not fully explaining the events as it occurred in the letter.

This is a good effort at letter writing. However, you do not really know how to fully develop the discussion at this point. A complaint letter must contain complete information and the narrative must be seen as proof of wrongdoing on the part of the restaurant staff. That was not proven at all in this email. So the C+C score will more than likely be a failing one as well. It will definitely lower the TA score since the letter did not fully address the writing requirements of the task.
OP bbqguy 1 / 1  
Thanks for your comment, your points are critical and I realized I do missunderstood the topic requirements on point No.2. I was thought it requred me to be polite because no one responds to insulting letter. And I have noticed that you highlighted my present and past tense usage, do you mind elaborate more about this part so that I can learn from my mistakes?

Home / Writing Feedback / General writing task 1: A formal complaint to retaurant