Formal educational credentials and hiring employees - GRE essay

wonglofu 1 / -  
"Formal educational credentials should be the most important factor in hiring employees."
Formal education credentials is a important factor in the hiring process because it allows employers to quantitatively evaluate a candidate's ability to perform. However, disagree that credentials should be the most important factor. Instead, qualitative aspects of the candidate such as experience, ability to work with others and attitude towards the job are far more effective in determining a candidate's potential and value to the employer.

Firslty, work experience is often equally, if not more important than formal education credentials because the skills required on the job may not be taught in school. For example, in the field of network engineering, employers often require candidates to acquire certificatins such as the Cisco Network Certifications, which are measures of the candidates experience working with equipment. These certifications are given so much wieght because network engineers know that no amount of abstract discussion can replace the hands on expereince gained from hours troubleshooting real world problems. Thus, no matter knowlegeable a candidate is, without the experience, he will not be able to apply any of that knowlege.

Secondly, since the ability to work with others is becoming increasingly important in today's highly structured work place, emplyoers also need to pay for attention to this factor the hiring process. Perhaps the most pertinent example of such a environment is a professional football team, where the strength of the team is not built on individual atheletic ability, but on the teamwork between every member of the team as well as the coach and the support staff. Likewise, a candidate's communication skills, leadership abilities and work ethic will, more so than a candidate's credentials, determine what he can bring to his workgroup as well as the firm as a whole.

Last but not least, employers must carefully evaluate a candidate's towards work because the employee's quality of work and contribution to the firm is largely dependant on it. My boss for my previous summer internship told me that above experience, ability to work with others and educational credentials, he believes that a employee's positive attitude is the single most important factor he considers during the hiring process. He often tells me that employees without vision, ambition or heart might as well be replaced with monkeys with instruction manuals. Indeed, positive attitude brings about motivation to learn, cooperate and perform, which is ultimately in the interest of the firm.

In conclusion, while the value of formal educational credentials should not be simply overlooked, it is by no means the single most important factor. In fact, its ability to evaluate a candidate's potential can be described as limited, at best, on its own. Rather, the combination of experience, ability to work with others and positive attitude are more indicative of how much a candidate has to offer to the workplace. As many career related books will tell you, "The hiring process is more of a art than a science", so must the employer carefully consider the qualitative factors of a candidate.

Forgive me but my english is not that great. Please give me some constructive criticism on my GRE issue essay! Thanks in advance!
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
This is a solid effort for a GRE essay. I notice, however, that you sometimes have missing words in your sentences. This seems to be a proofreading error rather than a reflection of your proficiency in English, which seems very high. After drafting such essays, it is essential to proofread carefully, as missing words in sentences are very glaring errors that cast doubt on the capabilities of the writer.
prasun8463 3 / 9  
Very well structured with Examples to Illustrate each Point.
I think i saw a couple of 'I' Missing.
Kahollavan81 4 / 6  
Very solid, concise, and to the convincing.
Superkid 4 / 9  
To improve your sentence by noticing that DON'T MISS WORDS, I believe your essay will be more attractive and convincing.

Home / Writing Feedback / Formal educational credentials and hiring employees - GRE essay