Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

Ielts Task 2: Formal examination vs continuous assessment

dianalpy 3 / 5  
Hi, can someone help me go through my essay?

Topic: Only formal examinations,written or practical, can give a clear pictue of students' true knowledge and ability at university level.Continuous assessment like course work and projects are poor measures of student ability.

How far do you agree with this latter statement?

Evaluation and grading are part of today's education system. Assessment, either in sumative form or formative form is very important to evaluate how well and how far a student has progress. There are many forms of assessment, for instance, examination, writing task, practical training, course work and project and i believe that all these assessments have its own function in measuring students' ability.

Formative form of assessment, such as course work and project are important and this kind of continuous assessment is able to evaluate students' performance throughout a period of time. During the allocate period, teachers are able to observe students' progression and able to identify students' weaknessess. By doing so, it would be very helpful for a teacher to guide and help the students based on their weaknessess.

Besides that, i believe that different types of assessment able to evaluate different types of ability. No doubt that final examination able to evaluate, in general, what the students have accomplished after one whole semester, but, what if the students gain low marks. The teachers are able to identify that these students do not really understand the subject in overall. The question is; Which part of the subject that the students are weak in? The teachers would not be able to guide and help the students particularly.

In conlusion, I strongly disagree that continuous assessment is a poor measures of students' ability. Instead, all form of assessments are very crucial and necessary to develop a knowledgeable and good student in all perspective. I believe that the combination of formative and sumative forms of assessment would be able to build a good future leader.

Home / Writing Feedback / Ielts Task 2: Formal examination vs continuous assessment