Formal examinations and assessments in university

Meoluoi1912 1 / -  

The best way of evaluating student's knowledge

Essay topics:
Only formal examinations, written or practical, can give a clear picture of a student's true knowledge and ability at the university level. Continuous assessment like course work and projects are poor measures of student ability. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

My essay:
Some people believe that students' s capacity can be assessed accurately only by formal examinations, written or practical at University level while continuous evaluations are not. From my point of view, I don't think formal examinations are better than the regular because of these following reasons:

In the first place, we can't deny that it is unfair between theory and practice in formal tests. A variety of people claim that concepts make it easy and save time for both students and teachers. In fact, these are bald and difficult for students to understand as well. Consequently, learner's tend to spend much time studying all theories as well as ignoring pratising to cope with important examinations despite their feeling it intelligible and boring.

Furthermore, when doing an formal examinations, candidates often get nervous. This can lead to forgetting something central. To give you an example of what I mean, my best friend - who has just done an examination for gifted students totally failed although she is intelligent and very hard-working.

In addition, regular evaluations help much to follow students's progress particularly. Teachers may edit their own teaching ways for students to raise marks. Realizing ability and degree of understanding will impulse students to improve themselves. Also, students have a large number of opportunities to contact with several practical skills that can be important factors leading to success. For instance, beside holding formal examinations, there are more and more teachers give continuous tests to eliminate communal assessment about each student.

In short, to gain a high qualification, I think teachers should apply both formal examinations and assessments in classes.

----
I hope somebody can fix my essay to be better.
Thanks first 😁
The TA score for your essay will fail because you did not follow the proper discussion format. The discussion format is based upon the prompt discussion instruction which, in this case, was posed in the form of the question:

To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Your response is incorrect as it did not choose a clear position to defend, based on a measured response to the dis/agree question. The proper response would have been:

I strongly disagree with this position due to several factors.

Your essay suffers tremendously from lack of clear explanations and the misuse of English vocabulary. Your LR and GRA scores will not be able to receive passing scores because of these problematic presentations in every paragraph. You should not use an English word, just because you think that the word is correct. You need to understand the meaning of the word before using it. When you use the word with the wrong meaning, you create a confusing sentence presentation such as :

...these are bald and difficult for students ...

Bald means to not have any hair. You meant to use the word bad which means not good in any manner or degree.

There is no such word as pratising. The correct term is "practicing" . You really do not have a good grasp of the English vocabulary at this point. Your LR score will definitely be within the failing mark range as of now.

There is also a lack of clarity in your sentence presentations which create confusion for the reader because there is no thought nor essence/ subject to the presentation:

... we can't deny that it is unfair between theory and practice in formal tests.

What? I am not clear about what you are trying to say here. You need to remember that a sentence that makes sense in your language, will most likely end up mangled, lacking in clarity, and without a clear topic being discussed in English. You need to stop thinking in your language then translating to English for your writing. You have to think and write in English for your sentences to make sense.

Basically, the lack of clarity in your thought presentation, explanation, and wrong vocabulary usage will be the main factors that will make you fail the test. You need to stop writing essays first and focus on your vocabulary development first. You may also develop your basic English sentence writing skills alongside that. Right now, you are at the beginner level of English usage. You are not yet capable of writing an essay that will pass the Task 2 requirements.

Home / Writing Feedback / Formal examinations and assessments in university