Free education - reasoning and consequences of implementing the policy

payal1982 10 / 19 5  
Governments should offer a free university education to any student who has been admitted to a university but who cannot afford the tuition.
Write a response in which you discuss your views on the policy and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider the possible consequences of implementing the policy and explain how these consequences shape your position.

Universities for free? Only basic education.

Education is a very important parameter for the development of a country. A government has the responsibility towards the society to make education accessible to its citizens. Basic education should be freely available to the people to have a literate society. However, education cannot be imparted free of cost for all the university courses. The following reasons will provide further support to validate this argument.

First of all any specialized course require sufficient resources. These resources could be qualified academicians or equipments such as a well-set laboratory. Any university acquires these resources after paying a huge cost. If education is for free for all the students, resources might not be sufficient enough. For example, computers are required for understanding a particular subject such as information sciences. With free education available to all, a university might not have enough computers for everyone. It will put pressure on the facility or department and the learning experience will not be fulfilling for everyone. Second, there will be a large number of dropouts, as the education system will be taken for granted. There will be less competitive environment and students will not be motivated to perform better. Performance can only be improved if a student is working on to earn returns for the investment made. This investment could be the tuition fee for which a loan has been taken. To repay it back a student will work harder and will be motivated enough. Finally, some universities are considered better when it comes to the quality of education they provide. Most of the students would like to be a part of those universities if free education is provided. This will definitely compromise the quality of teaching, as large groups will be present for each class.

Nonetheless, some basic education has to be imparted for free to students who cannot afford it. There should be scholarships and fee waiver for students who do exceptionally well in high school. Such incentives will help push students to pursue advanced studies. Secondly, free education to the minorities such as disabled and women can help in the holistic development of a nation. Most of the universities have a quota for minorities. The reason for such is to promote such sections of society. Free education will definitely provide skilled people for all the industries. It will eventually result in growth of people both financially and in terms of talent. Good students will get better opportunities and will not be marginalized owing to the fact that they cannot afford high tuition fees.

In conclusion, education is of utmost importance and it is one of the factors, which makes a nation developed. Basic education has to be imparted for free. Providing scholarships and fee waiver will help in enrolment of students from marginalized sections. However providing education for free may not be feasible as the resources come at a cost and will not be sufficient for a large number of students. Along with it the quality of teaching will be compromised and dropouts may be high, as education system will be taken for granted
Payal, the strongest opposing argument that most parents have in support of free university education has not been addressed in your essay. I am thinking that you either forgot that argument or you are not familiar with it. I speak of the argument that indicates "I pay taxes to the government for privileges that include the free education of my child. Therefore, my child should attend a university for free. I have already paid for the privilege". How would you defend your stance in opposition that the aforementioned argument? Keep in mind that tax money goes to the free education in government owned secondary and tertiary educational institutions. Therefore, there is a logic to the argument that the parents pre-paid for the privilege of free education. Consider the background of government budgeting and the role that it plays in the free education debate. Keep in mind that parents would prefer that the college education of their children come from their tax money. That is why most of the college students from families that cannot afford to pay for college often seek admission to government schools instead.
OP payal1982 10 / 19 5  
@holt.I guess there are 2 sides of a coin, in the essay I have to take one stance and justify it while mentioning, that providing free education is also required.

I believe GRE essays are rated on how you justify your claims. From your feedback it seems there is only one stance I could have taken that free education should be provided because tax payers would want that.

If I am not in agreement for free education why I should include this argument in my essay which will weaken my position.
Opuntia - / 13 4  
And what about explaining how these consequences shape your position? I didn't noticed a word - what means free education for you? How it might affect your educational/professional future? Show your personal perspective.

Home / Writing Feedback / Free education - reasoning and consequences of implementing the policy