Are we free to make our own choices in life, or are our decisions always limited

xialiyu 1 / 1  
Although it sounds appealing to make one's own decision freely, it is actually an impractable goal as the society has exerted significant influence and restrictions on individuals and has shaped one's value of what they should do and what they should not do. In today's society, people are more free to make our own choices than we were before, but it is true that we canno indulge our interests at the cost of transgressing the basic rules of the society.

The first example is about the choice of curriculum. Nowadays, we are much less limited when choosing extracurriculum activities and collegial groups than people were before; however, there are basic disciplines which must not be neglected such as Mathematicis, English Literature, Physics and Chemistry. These disciplines are compulsory because they will greatly assist your future career and well-being, while choosing to ignore these compelling courses will undoubtedly result in a great obstable since you are not equipped with some of the most basic skills. Furthermore, you will be less likely to enroll in an outstanding university or college, which can be attributed to your choice of not taking these basic disciplines. Actually, everyone is provided with a concrete and immutable schedule for daily couses whcih will not be altered by any individual student withour a reasonable application and cogent explanation. From this example, we can see that there are courses that we hove to choose to study. In other words, we cannot make a choice totally freely on which courses to take.

Another example is about filial responsibility. Turning to Chinese society, it is a written law that every grown-up should look after his or her parents if economically permitted. One of my neighbour is a vile women, always shouting against her parents and asking her parents for money.I usually herar augument with her parents on economic issues. In fact, she does not shoulder the responsibility of a daughter to take care of her elderly parents; instead, she throws herself in the cyberspace, not willing to take on a job to "act as" a daughter. She may not be punished by law; however, every family in our community has acknowledged her notorious reputation and malicious behaviour. As she decides not to take care of her parents, she has broken the basic law of the society--conscience. Her case indicates that people who make choices regardless of the rules of society will be injurious to not only the people around them but also themselves.

In conclusion, we are more or less limited by the rules of society when making decisions. However, as far as I am concerned, these rules should bot by regarded as obstacles, but should rather be considered as contribution to the stability and harmony of the hole society.
hafsa abid 4 / 40  
Although it sounds appealing to make one's own decision freely, it is actually an impractable(impracticable) goal as the society has exerted significant influence and restrictions on individuals and has shaped one's value of what they should do and what they should not do. In today's society, people are more free to make our(their) own choices than we were before, but it is true that we canno (cannot) indulge(try to find any alternative word) our interests at the cost of transgressing the basic rules of the society.

The first example is about the choice of curriculum. Nowadays, we are much less limited when choosing extracurriculum(extracurricular) activities and collegial groups than people were before; however, there are basic disciplines (restraints) which must not be neglected such as Mathematicis, English Literature, Physics and Chemistry. These disciplines are compulsory because they will greatly assist your future career and well-being, while choosing to ignore these compelling courses will undoubtedly result in a great obstable since you are not equipped with some of the most basic skills. Furthermore, you will be less likely to enroll in an outstanding university or college, which can be attributed to your choice of not taking these basic disciplines. Actually, everyone is provided with a concrete and immutable schedule for daily couseswhcih (which) will not be altered by any individual student withour a reasonable application and cogent explanation. From this example, we can see that there are courses that we hove to choose to study. In other words, we cannot make a choice totally freely on which courses to take.

Another example is about filial responsibility. Turning to Chinese society, it is a written law that every grown-up should look after his or her parents if economically permitted. One of my neighbour is a vile women, always shouting against her parents and asking her parents for money.I usually herar
(hear her)augument(argument) with her parents on economic issues. In fact, she does not shoulder the responsibility of a daughter to take care of her elderly parents; instead, she throws herself in the cyberspace, not willing to take on a job to "act as" a daughter. She may not be punished by law; however, every family in our community has acknowledged her notorious reputation and malicious behaviour. As she decides not to take care of her parents, she has broken the basic law of the society--conscience. Her case indicates that people who make choices regardless of the rules of society will be injurious to not only the people around them but also themselves.

the idea discussed in above paragraph is good
In conclusion, we are more or less limited by the rules of society when making decisions. However, as far as I am concerned, these rules should bot by(not be) regarded as obstacles, but should rather be considered as contribution to the stability and harmony of the hole (whole) society.

some points need more clarification....otherwise the ideas discussed were unique and good...may i know at which level you are studying.?
hafsa abid 4 / 40  
OP xialiyu 1 / 1  
Thanks for your complement hafsa.
I am preparing for the May 7th SAT Reasoning Test.
hafsa abid 4 / 40  
hmmmm....i am doing o levels...
Yes, excellent! It is supposed to be impracticable or impractical. Either of those words would work, but I don't think impractable is a real word.

...were before, but it is true that we cannot...

... less limited when choosing extracurricular activities and...

typo here: for daily couses whcih will...

Use plural, with an "s" because you have more than one neighbor:
One of my neighbours is...

I usually hear arguments with her parents about economic issues.

...should not by regarded as obstacles, but should rather be considered as contributions to the stability and harmony of the whole society.

:-)

Home / Writing Feedback / Are we free to make our own choices in life, or are our decisions always limited