How to fund community recreational services (increase taxes?)

throllen 5 / 13  
Hi, I am not looking for someone to edit my work, but are looking for inputs and comments. I am writing the ACT test and I want to see where I am at. Thank you

Topic:
Are user fees or increased taxes the more appropriate way to provide for community recreational services?

"The best way to pay for community recreational services" has been an ongoing debate among politicians. They have different point of view as to who - taxpayers or users - should pay for the usage of those community and recreational services. I believe the community recreational services should be paid by their users, as it is not fair for the non-users, and the increased taxes will negatively impact the economy of the community.

It is only fair for the general public that the cost of the community recreational services is paid by the users. Increasing taxes affects taxpayers, including those who do use and do not use the community and recreational services. To the user, it might be fair to them, but what about the non-users? For the non-users, it is extremely unfair to them, as they would be responsible for providing services deemed useless to them, and they also would be indirectly paying for the users. Moreover, those increased taxes should be spent elsewhere that impacts everyone, such as health care, food supply or transportation. Therefore, it is only fair to charge the only the users of the community recreational services.

Aside from being unfair to the people who don't use those services, increased taxes will negatively impact the economy of the community. Devastated by the financial crisis couple years ago, our economy is still in her recovery period, and many people wish the government can provide assistance to boost the economy. As the economy is recovering, many people are getting out of financial distress, but the increased taxes will be slowing the economy's recovering period and putting many people back in financial distress. On the other hand, if the users are charged for their usage, it is the appropriate way to provide for community recreational services without endangering the economy, because the users have the options to reduce their usage based on their financial situations; whereas once the taxes are increased, you have to pay for it even if you do not use community recreational services.

In summary, the cost of the community recreational services should be paid by the users. Increasing taxes is not the appropriate way to provide for community recreational services because it is unfair to people that don't use the services, and it adds extra financial burden to people that are currently suffering from financial crisis, and negatively impacting the economy.
use the plural form:
The have different points of view...

Hey, you made a great argument! I agree with you.

On the other hand, if the users are charged for their usage, it is the appropriate way to provide for community recreational services without endangering the economy, because the users have the options to reduce their usage based on their financial situations; whereas once the taxes are increased, you have to pay for it even if you do not use community recreational services.----okay, this is true, but at this point in the essay I think you should really address the counter-argument. What would someone say if they disagreed with you? Why is it bad to have a userfee? Explain the counter argument, and explain why yours is better.

You did a great job with this, though.
They have different points of view as to who - taxpayers or users - should pay for the usage of those community and recreational services.

I believe the community recreational services should be paid for by their users, as it is not fair to the non-users to have to pay for them , and the increased taxes will negatively impact the economy of the community.

It is only fair to the general public that the cost of the community recreational services is paid by the users.

To the user, it might be fair to them , but what about the non-users?

For the non-users, it is extremely unfair to them , as they would be responsible for providing services deemed useless to them, and they also would be indirectly paying for the users.

Therefore, it is only fair to charge the only the users of the community recreational services.

I know you said you didn't need an edit, but I did find a few places where it was needed. My only advice is that maybe you could mention some other instances where things are payed for by users, like the way people pay to park at beaches and enter national parks, where it works out well for everyone and does not affect non users. Good luck in school, and have fun!

:)
OP throllen 5 / 13  
thank you very much for your help, I will definitely take your advice!

Home / Writing Feedback / How to fund community recreational services (increase taxes?)