SAT essay, can we fuse the ideas or just choose one side when offered the choice?

cathchen 4 / 16  
I'm Catherine, and English is not my first language. I'm doing self-study for my SAT preparation now. I am confused whether we should always choose side or we can fuse ideas in such topic.

"In many circumstances, optimism-the expectation that one's ideas and plans will always turn out for the best-is unwarranted. In these situations what is needed is not an upbeat view but a realistic one. There are times when people need to take a tough-minded view of the possibilities of success, give up, and invest their energies elsewhere rather than find reasons to continue to pursue the original project or idea.

Adapted from Martin E. P. Seligman, Learned Optimism
Assignment:
Is it better for people to be realistic or optimistic? Plan and write an essay in which you develop your point of view on this issue. Support your position with reasoning and examples taken from your reading, studies, experience, or observations. "

So, in this case, is it advisable to fuse my ideas of being realistic and optimistic, meaning that I don't actually think one is better than the other, or is it much better to just take one side?

Thanks a lot.
seancron 2 / 2  
I took an SAT prep class that really helped me with this topic. They told us that you definitely need to pick a side and provide three clear examples to support your thesis. The people that evaluate your essay do not have to agree with your side they are looking for how you arrived at that conclusion. It helped me improve my wring score by almost 100 points, good luck
OP cathchen 4 / 16  
Thanks a lot, Sean. =)
Excellent advice, Sean. We are really lucky to have your participation!

Catherine, great question! I think this is where the grading might be unfair, because maybe the most sensible answer is indeed a merger of the two. But in order to be dynamic and take a stand, follow Sean's advice and pick one. After picking one, you can make your brilliant analysis which involves explanations about the presence of elements of each.
OP cathchen 4 / 16  
Thanks a lot, Kevin. Yes, I followed it and I took one side. I think it's better too.

Home / Writing Feedback / SAT essay, can we fuse the ideas or just choose one side when offered the choice?