In the future all cars, buses and trucks will be driverless. Advantages outweigh the disadvantages?

megankinney 1 / -  
In the future all cars, buses and trucks will be driverless. The only people traveling inside these vehicles will be passengers.

Do you think advantages of driverless vehicles outweigh the disadvantages?

The debate relating to transportation has been in the spotlight for an extended period of time. Recently, there is a belief that automated vehicles like cars, buses and trucks will be dominated in the future. From a personal perspective, such trend, though detrimental to a certain extent, could be considered as a major step forward.

On the one hand, driverless system of transportation has proven itself to be adverse. To begin with, personal driver's security may be deteriorated. In fact, many criminals now are gradually having more sophisticated and cunning plans in stealing the important information of other people. Thus, just by successfully accessing the storage systems, hacker can take the necessary data and control over a whole engine, easily triggering accidents on the road. Moreover, this trend may cause the unemployment of people. To illustrate, thousands of individuals are likely to lose their job as a taxi driver or bus controller since all the vehicles are substituted by automated ones, which may affect negatively their quality of life.

On the other hand, this trend seems to be advantageous from two aspects, as follows. First, human's safety will be guaranteed. There is no denying that, the majority number of accidents nowadays are attributed to drivers' inferior awareness like using stimulants or crossing the traffic light. Therefore, driverless vehicles are promised to decrease the unwanted cases as they can automatically control the speed themselves and utilize computer based system to avoid collisions. Second, this trend may bring about a civilized traffic system. The fact is that, there will no longer have traffic congestion and need police on the road since no more human could break the rules and the distance between two cars might be rigorously calculated in order to minimize collisions.

In conclusion, in spite of several demerits mentioned above, this essay still believe that putting more driverless vehicles on the road is revolutionary to the contemporary society.

@megankinney
The first sentence of the prompt restatement is an unnecessary presentation. It does not relate to the original topic and actually prompted a discussion topic change. The next discussion sentence saved the day though and brought the topic back on track. But the opinion response does not meet the response guidelines. Consider the following:

O Q: DO YOU THINK ADVANTAGES OF DRIVERLESS VEHICLES OUTWEIGH THE DISADVANTAGES?
Response: ... such trend, though detrimental to a certain extent, could be considered as a major step forward.

There is a discussion alteration in the response. It does not clearly indicate an answer in the required format. Does this mean the total response is incorrect? No. The second reasoning paragraph was related to the prompt.

The writer offered 2 reasons in that statement that deals with the advantages of driverless cars. Had this discussion been spread out over 2 paragraphs, the essay may have had a better scoring potential. In the current format, the essay is at the low end of the scoring scale.

Home / Writing Feedback / In the future all cars, buses and trucks will be driverless. Advantages outweigh the disadvantages?