Gay Marriage: Is It Right?

ladiired3 1 / 2  
Homosexuals have been fighting for their rights to be equal as people. Many have been beaten to death just fighting for their lives. As a gay supporter, I believe they as gays have the right to be happy for whom they are and what they believe is right. I believe they have the right to love whoever they want.

Many times it's hard to stand out and tell your loved ones you're gay. Frequently there are religious families who beat their kids because of their homosexuality. Some gays just can't deal with it so they end up leaving for a better life and not returning. End up being homeless until they can pick their selves up and raise themselves. There're judged based on not being equal people, their gays and lesbians they rather not be like other people rather be different and unique. God is the only person to judge them not us.

Many gay members of society get criticized about who they are. Just the other day in the news, someone killed two people at a teen's gay club in another country. It's sad that we have to see how many gay people must get killed gay people in hope of changing things around, but many gays die for fighting to be happy and for who they are. They know if they will die the next day, they know they lived to be happy with someone who cared about them.

Gay marriage has been around for many years. People have been fighting to have gay marriage in every state. Some states like Connecticut, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont and New Hampshire have been approved for gay marriage. Many other states are still fighting for all states to become legal for gay marriage. Many people are still opposed to gay marriage but sooner or later we will have freedom all over the US.

As long as gay marriage is legal in some states, we still have the freedom to be who we are. I know many who are happy for who they are. I am happy for who they am. I know the world will be happy with peace. That's all I'm dreaming for and longing to see that soon.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
As an ally of gay and lesbian people, you do a good job of expressing your empathy and awareness of the struggles LGBT folks face in life. However, much of this is background information rather than arguments or information in support of your position on the precise question of same-sex marriage. You may want to visit one of the websites associated with the struggle for same-sex marriage, such as the Human Rights Campaign, to get a sense of the facts and logic that are usually deployed in service of the argument that this is a basic rights issue regardless of how one personally feels about gay and lesbian people. One need not have empathy for gay teens -- who really are homeless at a much higher rate than other teens, due to being thrown out of their homes -- to argue that access to health benefits, tax breaks, etc. ought to be distributed equally.
OP ladiired3 1 / 2  
so talk more about struggles for same sex marriages ? I don't know what else to put in their ; since its more of a research paper ?!
The paper topic is an argumentative one. You need to take Simone's advice and present your arguments in favor of gay marriage, rather than expressing support for LGBT people in general. Also, you should discuss the opposing arguments (research them!) and explain why you think they are wrong. Hint: this issue is mostly a matter of semantics. That is, the two sides use the word 'marriage' in different ways. Those who favor gay marriage view marriage as essentially a civil, secular arrangement that happens to also be celebrated by many people as a religious ceremony. Opponents of gay marriage (at least those who favor civil unions as an alternative) view marriage as first and foremost a religious sacrament, and fear that legalized same-sex marriages are the first step towards their churches ultimately being forced to marry those who, according to their religious texts, are ineligible to receive it.
OP ladiired3 1 / 2  
ok thanks ; i will re-edit it again.
pelaru 1 / 2  
i thought we lived in a racial, religious, sexually tollerent world in the new 21st century... yet some of the questions on here are just damned right ignorant... where do you live mate in a cave on a deserted island... live and let live.. who are you or others to judge people on how they want to live thier lives...
Llamapoop123 7 / 442  
Too bad the way some people live their lives effects and offends others. This is why there must be argument. One cannot just disregard a controversial topic.
yet some of the questions on here are just damned right ignorant... where do you live mate in a cave on a deserted island... live and let live.. who are you or others to judge people on how they want to live their lives...

Why do you judge people who want to live their lives as intolerant people so negatively, then? You see the contradiction there? Everyone judges people based on their own personal moral code -- that's part of what moral codes are for. Also, it is worth pointing out that one tolerates, by definition, that which one does not like, and has judged in some way to be undesirable. The original notion of tolerance was that one should respect the rights of others, even if one disapproved of their background, lifestyle, religion, etc. Not that one should in fact stop disapproving of them. This is at the heart of the debate over gay marriage. Those who view marriage as essentially a secular arrangement view denying gays the right to marry as literally being intolerant, in the truest sense of the word. Those who view marriage as a religious sacrament believe that allowing gays to marry is the first step towards mandating acceptance, rather than simply tolerance, of homosexuality.
escritor 3 / 6  
too good thought Sean
john6503 9 / 27  
I'm not against gay people having marriage and loving each other. But should they have right to raise a child? I know those gay people chose their own destiny to become homosexual in spite of knowing that there will be prejudice and discrimination they will face in life following with their decision. However, when it comes to childs' point of view, having gay parents can put them in a state of confusion in terms of sexual orientation. Growing up in such enviornment, those children will be no exception to discrimination and bias that their parents are facing. But they didn't choose to have gay couples to be their parents. This being the case why should they face difficulties in life, which aren't up to their choice.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
Read the research before spouting off ignorantly about such a subject. The vast majority of gay and lesbian people do not experience their sexual orientation as a choice. (Ask yourself: Do you get to choose who you will be attracted to? Who you will fall in love with?) And, indeed, for gay men at least, there's more and more evidence of a genetic component. Next: Children. The research here is clear; children of gay and lesbian couples are not put into "in a state of confusion in terms of sexual orientation." They may face discrimination because their parents are gay. Children of Jewish parents may face antisemitism; children of African Americans may face racism. Surely, you're not saying that people from oppressed groups ought not be allowed to raise children because their children may suffer from that oppression too?
Llamapoop123 7 / 442  
John6503-
1) You don't think gay people are influenced genetically.
2) You don't think they should have children because they made a choice to be gay, sacrificing the right to have children.

1) Sexual Antagonism
A genetic theory of homosexuality.
By William Saletan
Posted Wednesday, June 25, 2008

First, it implies natural limits to homosexuality. You don't need to worry that gay teachers or television characters will "convert" hordes of boys. Sexually antagonistic selection is self-limiting and impervious to postnatal cultural factors. The authors' computations show no scenario in which male homosexuality spreads throughout a population.

^Based on a study far more recent than 2001. Published in 2008.

2)

showing that homosexuality is cultural and environmental rather than genetic

You post a comment which claims that homosexuality is cultural and environmental.

I know those gay people chose their own destiny to become homosexual

Which completely contradicts this statement.
Since environment and culture are both determined at birth gay people don't really have a conscious choice. So therefore why should they be subjected to the kind of inhumane discrimination you show. They can have children. I like the point simone made above about discrimination.

Also, instead of prohibiting gays from adopting, how about prohibiting the discriminaation of the children of gays?

Would children want to be left as orphans or as the sons and daughters of loving parents?
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
Note: I deleted John6503's comment to which Llamapoop123 is responding, because it ran afoul of our guidelines prohibiting postings that denigrate groups of people. Equating homosexuality with pedophilia is the oldest anti-gay slur in the book and has no place on this forum. John, this is a warning: Any more anti-gay (or anti-Black or otherwise bigoted) statements and I will suspend you. I've not suspended you already only because, looking at your posting history, I am giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming that ignorance, rather than antipathy, led you to make those remarks.

Home / Writing Feedback / Gay Marriage: Is It Right?