Is it a good idea to compete for the right to host international sport events?

ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
Topic: Many nations nowadays are competing for the right to host international sport events, however some people think it is not a good idea. Discuss both views and mention your own opinion.

Together with development of sport and fostering international relationships among nations, many global sport events, such as Football World Cup, Olympic games, etc. are held worldwide annually or every four years. However, we are witnessing a competitive race among countries to overcome their rivals to achieve the right of being the host of such sport events. Some people, on the other hand, believe that governments should put more important issues in their priorities and investment in international sport events is merely wasting money. Although, I am opposed to the latter group, for better understanding of the matter, two sides of the coin must be examined.

The critics believe that running a sport event in international level is a massive, multi-million dollar project, while the budgets can be spent on more crucial issues than sports. For example, the money required to construct a football stadium can be used in establishing a factory in order to produce more job opportunities. Eradication of poverty must always come first and authorities should lead all their financial policies toward this goal that providing individuals with jobs is the first step in this path.

Those who proclaim the competition on hosting a worldwide sport event think we should not reduce sports to entertaining activities. When a country is chosen to be the host of an important sport event, it is obliged to build world-class gyms, grounds and stadiums. To meet this end, many engineers, simple workers, and even accountants are needed to be employed. Thus, this fact clearly questions what critics build their opinions on. Furthermore, international events, in particular sport ones, help countries reinforce tourist industries, supplying them with a huge source of income. For instance, thousands of people travel to the country hosting the Football World Cup. They have to spend the money they bring from their own countries to the host one on hotel rent, souvenirs, matches' tickets, and the like. Transferring currency from other countries to the host dramatically ameliorate the economy.

To sum up, although a group of people are of the opinion that the competition of nations on winning the right to be the host of a sport event is literally wasting budgets' resources, I believe that being a host for such events thrive countries economically. Therefore, this idea not only has no harm for the society, but also it helps its advancement.
You need to lengthen this discussion when it comes to the part about your personal opinion on the matter. I feel that your discussion about the economic benefits of bidding for international competitions is quite weak. It lacks a personal point of view that shows a deeper understanding of the economics behind the events and the benefits that the overall economy of a nation can gain from hosting it. Your personal point of view in this essay is supposed to be the most compelling opinion explained here. It should be the one that could either tip the balance in favor or not in favor of your chosen side. Please discuss it better and make sure to create a strong, understandable, and believable platform for your position.

Home / Writing Feedback / Is it a good idea to compete for the right to host international sport events?