'good writer loves his/her characters' - AP English Essay

gulleyluke 1 / 1  
Below is the assignment I received for my 12th grade AP English class. I have just finished reading my novels and was hopping for some helpful tips or suggestions on how to write this. I read "Before I Go to Sleep" and highly suggest it to you. If this is in the wrong thread or forum please do not ban me, just delete the thread. Hopefully you all can be of help to me. I really appreciate it. Thanks!

"Write a multi-paragraph paper (with thesis statement at the end of the first paragraph, italicized or bolded) which addresses the following prompt:

A good writer loves his/her characters. They craft, shape and mold them into breathing, living people in the minds of the reader. Those characters suffer through trials and tribulations much the way that we do. They have characteristics that define who they are (and sometimes, those characteristics are their Achilles' heel...) Choose one character from your novel and analyze that character. Through your analysis, you should end up discussing at least four characteristics that the character exhibits. (I promise I won't sigh or roll my eyes if you end up with five characteristics.) Again, you'll need to back up your analysis with quotes from the text. Format your paper the same as the others."
engwriting101 - / 23  
Hello :)

Persumably, your AP English teacher has given you hand-outs which are supposed to aid you on getting started/organzing an essay. Use them!

Choose your favorite character and assign one paragraph (other than your intro and conclusion) for each of the main characteristics. Save the best charateristic for your thesis paragraph, by best I mean the characteristic that you feel the most confident providing evidence for and one which will help you demonstrate a strong argument.

I haven't read "Before I Go to Sleep" but if you need help on a thesis then attempt to write one that concerns how the most appealing, noteworthy, or over-comed hardships proves that the author loves that character you choose to write your paper on.

Does this help?
OP gulleyluke 1 / 1  
Yes that was very helpful. :) I'll be writing it the next few days and will post it when I'm done. Thanks again! :)

Home / Writing Feedback / 'good writer loves his/her characters' - AP English Essay