IELTS 2: Should governemts spend money on art?

Alexielts 2 / 3 1  
Hi folks, I have taken IELTs for more than 10 times. Unfortunately, I only got 7 for writing for 3 times. I really need to consolidate my writing skill and ensure to get at least 7 in all bands. My weaknesses are coherence and cohesion, please check for me.

Q. Should governments spend money on art, when they have so many other important issues and concerns.

Art, a form of imagination to express ideas or feelings, is the pivot in some nations, e.g., Greece and Italy. While certain countries tend to allocate their budgets on art, some politicians assert that it is a waste of taxpayers' money to spend on this unnecessary thing. In this regard, both views will be discussed and compared. Personally, it seems that art contributes more positive effects than negative ones in many facets.

Throughout many centuries, art, particularly in painting, drawing and sculpture, affords a great deal of fulfilment to the creators and its audience. To begin with, art events and activities, which are promoted by council, provide great opportunities to artists and sculpture makers for displaying their artwork. Likewise, art-lovers can appreciate and purchase art products in more different ways. Consequently, funding on art is of great importance to the development of art industry.

In spite of this, some claim that governments should pay more attention to economic and educational aspects rather than art one. Undeniably, spending more on economy-related policies, such as constructing infrastructure and enhancing monetary system, can stimulate the economic growth of the nation. Furthermore, sponsoring and supporting educational institutions, like universities, can foster more aptitudes to work for the country, which augments the competitiveness as a nation. Thus, seen from this perspective, these two categories should be more concerned than art development.

However, art is beneficial to the economy and education in indirect ways. More specifically, some art represent history and messages in which the ancestors deliver to their posterity. This cultivates people interest in learning art as well as history. More importantly, numerous art galleries and well-known statues, such as the Statue of Liberty, attract a vast number of tourists from different countries to visit. Obviously, this would enhance the tourism and economy of the region. Hence, art can indirectly positively impact the country as a whole.

In conclusion, budgeting on art is not necessarily bad and should be encouraged. It generates many advantages, including economic and educational benefits, while its downsides are minimal.

(339 words)
Art, a form of imagination to express ideas or feelings, is the pivot in some nations,e.g., Greece and Italy.

... actually, you need not to give examples in the introduction. Your body paragraphs are the places meant for examples. I feel this line sounds better without the example.

Personally, it seems that art contributes more positive effects than negative ones in many facets.

.... express your opinion more directly. Make the reader feel that you firmly hold that position in the argument. Also, this is not a position on the issue- which is actually about government spending on art. You need to clearly say what side you take on the argument;

Personally, I believe that art contributes positively to our society and therefore the governments should spend money for the development of art forms.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS 2: Should governemts spend money on art?