The government should promote the use of renewable energy in electricity generation

lskarena22 2 / -  

the policy analysis paper on renewable energy

This is a policy analysis paper and I would like to have some feedback on my writing, including the content, article structure, and use of language, and grammar.

Most of the greenhouse gases are emitted from the power plants that generate their electricity mainly through fossil fuels in Hong Kong. In order to alleviate the resulting air pollution and energy crisis, the SAR government should increase the ratio of renewable resources to fossil fuels in electricity generation.

Why using more renewable energy
The use of renewable energy helps to alleviate the air pollution and improve our citizens' wellness in a large extent. Less suspended particulates are created during the combustion of renewable energy sources such as solar and wind power as compared to fossil fuels. With cleaner air, citizens are less likely to get any kinds of respiratory diseases. The opponents may argue that the development of renewable energy sources requires a lot of land and public resources. The costs induced in the short-term to sitting citizens will be offset by the improved public health and thus, lower public medical expenses in the long-term. Furthermore, the diversification of energy sources may drive down the overall electricity prices.

While considering using more renewable resources such as wind and solar energy to generate electricity for domestic and commercial use, the government has to overcome the following constraints.

Limited natural resources
Hong Kong has limited natural resources such as water and land. With unreliable rainfalls, there are limited rivers and water reservoirs available in the city. And because of the small water body, it is not feasible to generate renewable energy through water and tidal waves. Land available for the development of renewable energy is another concern. Among the 1106 hectares of land, most of them are either hilly or categorized as greenbelt zone and country parks where any kind of development is forbidden, while the rest are already highly developed. It is difficult to make room for the development of renewable energy, especially in the urban areas where most of the citizens reside.

Nevertheless, Hong Kong still has some potential for renewable energy such as solar power. A recent research conducted by the Hong Kong Polytechnic University had pointed out that photovoltaic systems could be installed on the roof of 233,000 buildings in the urban area to generate energy through sunlight, without the need to use up large area of land.

Economic costs
Even though the constraint of land can be overcome, the government still has to carefully consider the cost of developing renewable energy. In general, generating electricity from renewable resources is far more expansive than from fossil fuels. It will cost roughly $300 million to satisfy 10% of the current electricity consumption through solar power. Apart from the high cost, the life span of any renewable energy system is quite short. For example, a photovoltaic system can only last for 20-30 years. Therefore, the electricity companies and the government remain hesitated in leveling up the ratio of renewable resources over total electricity generation.

Fortunately, with the advancement in modern technology and increase in demand, the cost of development renewable energy will further decrease in the near future. The cost of developing solar power will drop by at least 26% in 2025, according to the estimation of the International Renewable Energy Agency. This will increase the cost effectiveness of using renewable resources. Meanwhile, the government should assist the industry to nurture more relevant tenants so as to lower the cost involved in production and installation of renewable energy systems.

Citizens' acceptance level
Citizens' perception determines the effectiveness of any government means to promote the use of renewable energy. For example, the government would forgo the construction of wind turbines if it faces strong opposition from nearby residents regarding the noise nuisance created during the building and operation of wind turbines. However, citizens' attitude towards renewable energy can be altered.

The World Wide Fund for Nature Hong Kong had subsidized three households in Tai O to install photovoltaic systems on their roofs. The participating citizens believed that the advantages of using renewable resources such as cheaper electricity bills and less emitted pollutants outweigh its disadvantages like inconvenience in clearing the components of a photovoltaic system. Putting the economic and land constraints aside, citizens welcome the introduction of renewable energy system in their households. Still, it is pertinent for the government to step up its efforts in promoting the use of renewable energy in daily life.

While the proposed use of renewable energy involves huge initial costs, it would bring huge social and environmental benefits of reducing air pollution and the associated social costs and promoting a greener and more sustainable low carbon community, which should all be taken into consideration although they are not readily quantifiable.
Jasmine855 3 / 11 5  
The opponents may argue(...) lot of land and public resources. ^However this investment would be worth it in the long run as The costs induced in the short-term to ...

... is far more expensive than from fossil fuels.
Luk, this is a sound summary of your policy paper research. I hope though that this is not the final version of the policy paper that you plan on presenting to your professor. Truth be told, the paper can still use a more in-depth research presentation of the history of the power generation problem in Hong Kong, the previous and current efforts to help resolve the issue, any policy papers that might be pending in the government, and the current status of the power generation plants in the country. The grammar is well developed and helps to deliver your interests as the researcher and policy adviser. I do not doubt that you can come up with more intricate and workable plan which can be turned into a policy proposal for the consideration of the government.

Home / Writing Feedback / The government should promote the use of renewable energy in electricity generation