TOEFL - the government should support the scientific research with no practical use?

blindside 1 / -  
hello everyone, i'm preparing myself for TOFEL and I am not confident of my writing. If you could give me any advice, that would be great! thx!

also, i'm not sure how to start and end the passage well. > <any suggestion?

Do you agree that the government should support the scientific research even there's no practical use?

Science has been the pivotal motivation that keeps human beings making progress. Countless inventions including steam engine, bulb, television, computer, mobile phone improve people's life. Without scientific research supported by government, perhaps none of these would have been possible. Therefore, I firmly believe that government should support the scientific research even there's no practical use.

Admittedly, this world is filled with miseries which need much immediate government support. For example, poor children have no money to receive education; high house price prevent people from buying their own home; rising prices of commodities makes it difficult to satisfy people's basic desire. These examples are plenty. When dealing with these immediate problems, however, government should not set aside those seemingly unpractical scientific researches, which may in turn do good to the immediate unsolvable puzzles.

Even if some researches seem to have no practical use, which I would define as immediate gain, they may help people to have a better understanding of the world they are living in. NASA recently called an end to the space shuttle program which cost tens of millions of dollars. However, research shows that people for it far surpasses those against it. Why? Space exploration, at the first glance, has no immediate relationship with daily life and cannot get much financial returns, but it helps people to learn the outer world. On the one hand, it satisfies people's curiosity toward the unknown and opens their eyes to ignorance. On the other hand, it may be counted as a preparation for human's future. Moreover, the huge fund can never be provided by individuals. Therefore, government should play a major role in promoting scientific research.

In addition, scientific research, more often than not, can not be predicted, meaning that people may not see clearly the possible huge potential. There are many outstanding schools providing experts, scholars and promising students with a comfortable environment to do research. That is where Steven Hawking came up with his renowned theory of Black Hole. Can anyone foresee the tremendous success when he first started this program? Without government's support, where could he possibly find state-of-the-art equipment to build a model that seemed incredibly impossible? Moreover, the support may incubate many future innovators. It is these future innovators that will improve the world to a higher level.

In a nutshell, there is no denying that immediate problems need government's support. Scientific research, even if there is no practical use, should also be supported by government because scientific research is important not only in the practical front, but also in some more profound area.
kevman 1 / 10  
For the first paragraph: You should start off with something explaining that even if there is no obvious practical use for the research it doesn't mean that there should be no funding. Then go on listing your examples and saying something about many people thought they these products had no practical use but now we could not consider living without them. blah blah blah.

Over all pretty good. I only read the first two paragraphs though :)
linh202 11 / 23  
Without scientific research being supported by government, perhaps none of these would have been possible.

For example, poor children have no money to receive education; high house price prevent people from buying their own homeone ; rising prices of commodities makes it difficult to satisfy people's basic desire.

Your wording is really good. I'm impressed by the way of using vocabulary.
For example, poor children have no money to receive education; high house prices prevent people...

Oh, I see. I agree with your argument! I think make you are arguing that there is "no such thing" as scientific research without practical value.

In addition, scientific research, more often than not, can not be predicted, meaning that people may not see clearly the possible huge potential. ----Very good sentence!! Use "cannot" as a single word.

You have some great examples in this essay!
kevinhsin1124 11 / 10  
I like your point about the government and the real life. Good essay!!
Therefore, I firmly believe that government should support the scientific research even there's no practical use.
There are some clear reasons, and I will explore these.

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL - the government should support the scientific research with no practical use?