Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

'Government should not waste tax payer money on exploring space' - TOEFL No. 95

mingweii 1 / -  
95. Some people think governments should spend as much money as possible exploring outer space (for example, traveling to the Moon and to other planets). Other people disagree and think governments should spend this money for our basic needs on Earth. Which of these two opinions do you agree with? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

When it comes to the issue about whether governments should spend as much money as possible exploring outer space, I would definitely say no. I suggest to spend this money on our fundamental demands on Earth for the following reasons.

First of all, many basic issues still need to be solved on Earth. For instance, the energy crisis after oil and coal are running out in this century need to be underscored. In other words, we must develop a better method to generate energy efficiently. We have to change our major enegy sources from oil and coals to renewable sources, such as wind and solar energy. Moreover, the population of humen beings is more than seven billion now. Worsely, there are a large number of people still suffering from hunger. How to help these people from being poor and hungry is the critical issue that we have to solve.

Secondly, although outer space contains various interesting planets that we are not virtually familiar with, our technology so far cannot travel out of Solar System. Even the nearest star takes 4.7 years to travel in light speed, the ultimate speed in physical world. However, the fastest spacecraft can only reach the speed less than one thousandth of light. Scientists should know how to overcome this limitation of speed before discovering the outer space. Someone may claim that we should at least try to know more about the planets or satellites in Solar System in order to discover new energy sources for future consideration. Unfortunately, according to former research about Solar System, the atmosphere and environment on these planets and satellites are not suitable for human beings to live. How we could dwell in these planets is the first thing to resolve before trying to exploit the energy source.

To sum up, I disagree that government should spend much money on exploring space for the reason that some radical issues on Earth have not been solved, and that our technology is still limited for further exploration of outer space. Therefore, I hope that the government should use most part of budgets on resolving the fundamental problems of general people, instead of exploring an uncertain space.

Please someone could give me any advice about my essay. Thank you very much!

Home / Writing Feedback / 'Government should not waste tax payer money on exploring space' - TOEFL No. 95