IELTS: governments should pay for the public service or arts?

Sundin 2 / 6  
Some people say that governments should pay for the public service, while others say it is not the government's responsibility and they should pay for the arts.

Please discuss both views and give your own opinion.

With the economic growth and technological development, people have transferred their attention to the living standard and healthy lifestyles, and there is a controversy over whether it is authority's responsibility to allocate funds on public infrastructure. This essay will discuss both points of views.

Those who claim that states are not charge of public service, and they should pay more on arts. It is certainly true that arts stand for a country's culture and history, but today under enormous stress,most individuals only concentrate on works, business and studies, resulting to the lack of appreciation of arts ,humanities and national spirits. So, the government should build more art

places to raise the awareness of culture and history which is extremely educational and valuable to today society.

Nevertheless, there is no doubt that as taxpayers, who paid a large amount of tax to country, have rights to enjoy the public service that paid by governments. At present, in order to achieve the high quality life quickly in competitive global environment, the states spend too much money on economic development but ignoring the raise of living standard. If these public services can meet people's needs and help them solve problems, they may provide the maximum production to society, thereby, stimulating the modern development. What's more, most lands have been used for commercial manufacture to make profit, if governments can put emphasis on public service and build more facilities or organizations to solves these problems, the living standard can be increased in a more effective and efficient way.

To sum up, having analyzed and stated the two points above, I would say that the public service and arts are completely contradictory existence, but an interactive relationship that both bring convenience to citizens. What the government should do is know how to allocate the funds reasonably and how to make the maximum effects.
beula 3 / 10 1  
hi sundin,
two websites that really help for our ielts.
ielts_simon
dcielts
you can find a good format and structure regarding this essay in simon website.
thanks
OP Sundin 2 / 6  
OK~thanks Beula~!
did u find some Grammar errors in this essay?
I am not sure about my grammar :(
This essay will discuss both points of views.

This sentence does not add much value for your essay. Instead of this one you should have stated your opinion on this issue.

... here you don't introduce the other part of your introduction. Nothing is said about who should spend for art.

Those who claim thatstates are not charge of public service, and they should pay more on arts.

.... I don't get what you mean by "states are not charge" .... do you mean that government is not responsible? You need to re-write this sentence.
OP Sundin 2 / 6  
hi Pahan,I am appreciate for your help.
I wrote again and correct the errors. how about that? :)

With the economic growth and technological development, people have transferred their attention to the living standard and healthy lifestyles, and there is a controversy over which field that authority should invest more,public services or arts? In my view,both of them cannot be ignored by states.

Those who claim that governments are not responsible of public service, and they should pay more on arts.

welcome criticism.:)
Nevertheless, there is no doubt that as taxpayers, who paidpay a large amount of tax to country , have rights to enjoy the public service that paidis afforded by the governmentgovernments .

This sentence should be in present tense.

the statesgovernments spend too much money on economic development but ignoring the raise of living standard.

The State refers to the government, but then you need to capitalize it to avoid confusion because the word "state" has many meanings. "Government" is a more appropriate word for this idea.
OP Sundin 2 / 6  
Hi dumi,thanks for your help.
I afraid If I use 'government' much in my essay,it will result in the redunduncy of words :(
As long as you use the word appropriately, it does not matter. Lots of people who prepare for IELTS try to use synonyms having this fear. However, what is more important is you express your ideas clearly and effectively. If synonyms disturb that then no point in using them because they do a greater damage than redundant words. In this case you can use the word authority for government.
raufh05 2 / 5 1  
"Those who claim that states are not charge of public service, and they should pay more on arts"

How about writing it this way : those who claim that government is in charge of public service, and they should spend more on arts.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS: governments should pay for the public service or arts?