GRE-Should governments solve the immediate or the anticipated problems?

broad 4 / 11  
hi! everyone!
Nice to see you! Thank you for your valuable suggestions!

Present your prespective on the issue below. Please
-consider the complexities and implications of the issue
-organize, develop, and express your ideas on the issue
-support your ideas with relevant reasons and examples
-control the elements of standard written English

TOPIC: "Governments should focus more on solving the immediate problems of today rather than trying to solve the anticipated problems of the future."

Response

I fundamentally agree with the speaker's claim that governments should focus on solving the immediate problems of today. However, considering the complexity of the problems that governments will be faced with, I think governments in different levels have different tasks and goals to solve those problems.

First, governments in city or state level should focus more on solving the immediate problems. I think the main responsibilities of these governments are to ensure every citizen has a better daily life. Local governments are more closed to the common people and deal with a mount of regular and common affairs every day. For example, if one factory gets fired in the city, the local government should organize the local staffs to put out the fire immediately and evacuate the masses nearby in order to reduce the loss of the citizens to the fullest extent. For governments in this level, solving the immediate problem seems more important.

Second, governments of different countries should solve the immediate problems of today as well as the anticipated problems of the future at the same time. For example, some pressing affairs such as natural disaster is the immediate problem that should be solved by the government. Besides that, a country government should focus on solving the anticipated problems of the future. For example, governments should pay fund on new technologies which will benefit the society in the future. For governments in nation level, solving the immediate problems is the same important as the anticipated problems. Furthermore, the UN, known as the government of the world, seems solve the anticipated problems more often than the immediate problems. Such problems include the Global Warming and the living conditions of the communities etc.

However, there are many problems for governments are neither immediate problems nor anticipated problems. Such as the problem of education and the problem of unemployment, such problems are long-term problems that governments should focus on solving them all the time.

To sum up, the responsibilities for governments are to advance the society. The various problems we are faced with are so complicated that governments in different levels should join hands together to solve those problems moment by moment .
curious - / 5  
hey, I see how u are trying to be as concise and organized as possible but it is not working for your best interest here.

First of all you said that you agree that governments should focus on immediate issues then you renounced your stand by saying that there should also be governments (on higher level) to tackle anticipated problems.I think this point is weak, you should keep your stand or start with something like: I think that governments should focus on both immediate and anticipated problems putting more effort in solving immediate problems because they are usually more pressing and more urgent ,not to mention having immediate effect on the lives of people .you mentioned that education and unemployment belong to neither one of the two above mentioned categories of problems but in fact they are immediate since they they affect the lives of people largely and dealing with them needs lot of effort and the problems resulting from disfunctional education or long- term unemployment are inevitable .your conclusion needs to be more inspiring and more directto the point.thank u.
OP broad 4 / 11  
hey,
mica,thank you for your help, I will consider your suggestions seriously, there seems much for me to do.It really help!
Is this supposed to say closer? -----> Local governments are more closed closer to the common people and deal with a mount of regular and common affairs every day. For example, if one factory gets set on f ired in the city, the local government should organize the local staffs to put out the fire immediately and...

Second, governments of different countries should solve the immediate problems of today as well as the anticipated problems of the future at the same time. ---- ah, I think this is the most important sentence of the whole essay. This is very true, and I think it is the 'correct' answer to the question.

For example, governments should provide funds for new technologies which will benefit the society in the future.

"Importance"
For governments at the national level, solving the immediate problems is of the same importance as the anticipated problems.

Home / Writing Feedback / GRE-Should governments solve the immediate or the anticipated problems?