Ielts1 - report about consumption of energy in the USA since 1980 with projections until 2030.

GATE 9 / 17 1  

utilization of energy in the USA

question:
The graph below gives information from a 2008 report about consumption of energy in the USA since 1980 with projections until 2030.

The graph compares the utilization of energy in the USA since 1980 and also gives a projection of it till year 2030.

It is clear that petrol, oil and coal accounted as high units of fuel consumption over the given years as opposed to Nuclear,solar/wind and hydropower.

Now turning to the details, about 35 quadrillion units of petrol and oil was consumed in 1980 which fluctuated and then the figure surged to 40 quadrillion units in 2005 which will move upto 48 quadrillion units in 2030. coal and natural gas will follow the same trend starting at about 16 and 20 quadrillion units respectively in 1980 and crisscrossing each other over the years till 2015 when both reach 25 quadrillion units. The projections show coal will gradually increase to above 30 quadrillion units in 2030 whereas natural gas will level out at 25 quadrillion units.

On the contrary, Nuclear and solar/wind energy's consumption figures rise up in tiny amounts from under 5 quadrillion units in 1980 to between 5-10 quadrillion units in 2030. whereas hydropower energy consumption remains same (about 4 quadrillion units) over the whole period.

(187 words)

Leo552 2 / 2  
I think that introduction should be more specific and it'd better mention the types of energy that include in survey.
The second paragraph is more suitable for conclusion.
Your second paragraph is running too long. You should be focusing on the separation of information in the essay as well as the presentation of information. Try to avoid using run on sentences. Sure, the information is connected in the graph. But you can present those by grouped statements. For example, You can group the information by decade in your presentation. So, the information for 1980-1999 go into one paragraph, 2000-2020 in another, then 2021-2030 in the last. You can still have up to 5 paragraphs for the Task 1 essay if it will help you present a clearer report to the reader. The information for 2021-2030 should be a stand alone paragraph as best as possible since that is a future projection and not a part of the summarized data from previous years. So your last paragraph is a good start, but lacking in information. All 2021-2030 projections should have been in that paragraph instead.

Home / Writing Feedback / Ielts1 - report about consumption of energy in the USA since 1980 with projections until 2030.