IELTS Task 1 Graphs: UK tourism statistics

akifielts 1 / -  
The charts below give information about travel and from the UK, and about the most popular countries for UK residents to visit. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and makes comparisons where relevant.

The line graph compares the number of visits to the UK and visits of British people to other countries over a period of 20 years. The bar graph illustrates the six most preferred countries to visit by British people in 1999.

Overall, it's clear that there was a significant increase in the number of visits abroad and visits to the UK between 1979 and 1999. Additionally, the most popular country among the British tourists was France, with well over 10 million visitors in 1999.

According to the line graph, the figures for overseas citizens stood over 10 million during 1879 and 1984 with a small increase of 1 million while the number of travels from the UK rose from around 12 million to just under 20 million over the same period. After 1984, the number of travels to and from the UK went up dramatically to 25 million and 52 million respectively.

On the other hand, France and Spain were chosen most by British people while three other most popular countries, namely Turkey, Greece, USA, were visited by around 3 million British tourists in 1999.

Word Count: 185

Thank you for your feedbacks and comments!

sa1na 9 / 72 19  
you sumarized everything wisely and in order. However, I suggest you find a way to connect the two graphs more with each other; foe instance, whenever talking about the increase in the UK residenst's travels, mention where they went. Moreover, try to emphasize on the difference between the ratio of increasing of two lines in the graph one. It was the first thing that caught my attention.
SHanafi 120 / 415 93  
Hi, akifielts. You made a good intro, but pay attention about your sentence flow. I am not keen on your separation while explaining the line and bar graph.

Let me try
The line graph informs the number of departures and arrivals in UK over a 20-year period, and the bar chart presents the British favourite destination in 1999.

Avoid contraction in formal writing
Write "it is" not "it's"
It is better not to attach the data in your overview such as 10 million visitors. Then, it is better make comparison between the number of travel come and to UK.

This I can do
Overall, the number of international departures from UK was considerably higher than its arrivals between 1979 and 1999. Meanwhile, France remained as the most favourable destination for English travellers in 1999.

Your second body is too short, I wish you could report more informations further.

The sharp increase of travelling in 1999 attracted around 12 million British people to come to France. Standing in contrast with USA being recorded 4 million visited by UK citizens, such trend had almost threefold increase in full loan of visitors. Spain came as the second choice with 9 millions UK arrivals in 1999. However, Turkey and Greece were stance stronger as the two last destinations which reckoned by less than 3 millions arrivals by British people.
zzwestmanzz 3 / 4 1  
Since your paragraphs are too short, I think you should combine paragraph 2 and 3. And paraphase more about the bar chart.
eddies [Contributor] 25 / 1,208 476  
On the other hand, France and Spain were chosen most by British people while three other most popular countries, namely Turkey, Greece, USA, were visited by around 3 million British tourists in 1999 .

This needs a slight improvement on the flow of the sentence. Let me give a try:
In terms of the most popular countries visited by the British in 1991, France and Spain ranked first and second respectively. This can be seen from the chart that over 10 million of visitors went to France, while almost 10 million of travellers visited Spain. However, no more than 5 million of UK visitors were more likely to travel to USA, Greece, and Turkey.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Task 1 Graphs: UK tourism statistics