Great Expectations - Charles Dickens. Tension and suspense.

Viral 1 / -  
This is only the first half of the essay, I would like some feedback before completion.

Question: Explore how Charles Dickens creates tension and suspense in the opening chapters of Great Expectations. (first three chapters)

Answer:

Great Expectations is a novel based around a young orphan, Phillip Pirrip (who is known as Pip), who is portrayed as both the narrator and the protagonist. One evening, when he is looking at the tombstones of his parents in the middle of the cemetery, a convict named Magwich approaches him. The convict demands Pip to bring him back some food and a file for his leg irons. Pip obeys Magwich, but the convict still finds himself being captured.

Great Expectations is primarily set in Kent, England, in the mid nineteenth century. However, as the story progresses, it is mainly set in London and partially Australia.

In the opening chapters, I believe Charles Dickens is trying to set the scene and introduce the main characters, including the protagonist, Pip, and of the many antagonists, Magwich. He is also giving us an in-depth overview of Pip's life and his lifestyle. For example, he lives with his sister, Mrs. Joe and her husband, Joe Gargery and both of his parents have passed away. We know that he is an orphan because when he is looking at his mother's tombstone, Magwich asked him, "And is that your father alonger your mother?", and Pip confirms his query, "Yes, sir".

Charles Dickens would have had to use a lot of suspense in the novel to persuade Victorian readers to buy the next instalment. To do this, Dickens could have ended each instalment at a cliffhanger, which would definitely give the reader a reason to buy the following part of Great Expectations.

In the opening of the novel, Dickens creates a 'dark' atmosphere using pathetic fallacy to portray Pip's feelings. Many of the words used in the opening chapters have a harsh tone to them, such as "dead, buried, savage lair, devil". I believe Dickens chose these words to create the dark atmosphere.

Dickens introduces Pip as a typical young child who may not be very intelligent, such as many children in the working class in the mid nineteenth century. For instance, in the beginning of the novel, Pip is looking at his parent's gravestones where he ponders the exact inscriptions on them. When the convict questions him about his parent's names, he recites them word for word from the tombstones, which in turn, indicates his youthful innocence.

Adversely, Dickens introduces the convict, Magwich as a 'fearful' man. Our very first impression on Magwich is that he is a rough person, who has no limitation to his threats, "Keep still you little devil, or I'll cut your throat!" However, we quickly realise that he is not as fearsome as he makes himself out to be. For instance, when he asks Pip where his mother is, Pip points besides him and Magwich runs in despair, "He started, made a short run, and stopped and looked over his shoulder." Although Pip does not know it, the reader gets the idea that Magwich is slightly timid, and definitely not someone who is to be afraid of. This creates slight suspense for the reader as they would want to know what Magwich will do to Pip if he does now obey him, but also what would happen if he does.

In the novel, there are essentially two different Pips, Pip the character, and Pip the omniscient narrator. Dickens uses both the character's and the narrator's view of events to allow the reader different interpretations with a fine distinction. For example, Pip's actions towards the events are quite childish. This is shown as he does not tell anyone about his encounter with the convict, not even the police; instead he risks his own life by obeying him. However, when he is imbuing the voice of Pip, the narrator, he shows a lot more maturity. None of this maturity is shown in the early stages of his character. This leads the reader to distinguish two different interpretations of events from the narration and also the character.

Dickens' description of Magwich uses very harsh words, such as "stung by briars" and "torn by nettles", which builds up some suspense as it gives the reader a fearful impression of the convict. Dickens also has this feeling from the very first time we know of the convict, "'Hold your noise!' cried a terrible voice".

Magwich behaves erratically towards Pip, "he seized me by the chin". I believe he acts this way to frighten Pip and get the upper hand over him. This gives him the advantage when he asks Pip to bring him the 'whittles' and a 'file'.

The reader unhesitatingly knows that Magwich is one of the many antagonists throughout the novel. We know this because of the convict's aggressive behaviour throughout the inaugural chapter, "turned me upside down and emptied my pockets". However, we then get the idea that he is not as formidable as he appears. This is known when he becomes alarmed at the belief that Pip's mother is present in the cemetery.

Pip's life with his sister is shown to be very hard, "she had brought me up 'by hand'". The reader gets the idea that they do not live a wealthy life, "then she took some butter (not too much)". We also get this idea because of the run down floor boards, "and every crack in every board", which, in turn, creates suspense for the reader.

Mrs. Joe, Pip's sister, treats her husband, Joe Gargery, and Pip in a very unjust manner. For example, when she is looking for Pip, Mr. Gargery knows that she will be violent so he tells Pip to wrap himself in the jack-towel so there will be less pain, "and have the jack-towel betwixt you".

I believe this chapter is meant to build up a lot of suspense. Pip's dilemma is the main cause of this as we don't know whether he is going to obey Magwich or not, as whatever decision he makes, there could be severe consequences. Once again, Dickens uses pathetic fallacy to reflect Pip's feelings in this chapter.

Pip finds it quite hard to steal the food from his sister, "It was as if I had to make my mind to leap from the top of a high house, or plunge into a great depth of water". I think Dickens devotes a lot of time to be the protagonist's predicament as it institutes a lot of the primary suspense. It could also offer a turning point for the novel if Pip was to decide not to steal the food or the file.

When Pip sneaks down the stairs at the break of dawn, he begins to feel very guilty. Dickens shows this by using personification. He makes Pip think that the floorboard is talking to him, telling him not to steal the food, "Stop thief!" However, the reader knows that this is only Pip's conscience.
vickyw 2 / 3  
-It would be helpful if u can post the specifications of the assignment so ppl trying to make correction know what to look for when reading your assignment.

-Quote: "Charles Dickens would have had to use a lot of suspense in the novel to persuade Victorian readers to buy the next instalment. To do this, Dickens could have ended each instalment at a cliffhanger, which would definitely give the reader a reason to buy the following part of Great Expectations."

-Installment? not instalment

You talked about how Dickens could end each installment in suspense. In terms of the essay, you haven't gotten to talking about the end of the installment yet. When i read it, it kind of stuck out because it doesn't connect to the paragraphs around it. This statement can be moved to a place where it is more relevant, or maybe you would do better stating how Dickens have to put lots of suspense in each installment in general to keep the reader interested.

You explored each device used for creating suspense chronologically, and named each use of suspense in detail. Have you ever thought you might be going into too much detail? When i read your response, i felt as if i was reading the book(because it was so detailed). Again, i don't know the requirement for this assignment, maybe you are required to write a piece of such detail. Just keep the amount of detail you put in in mind.

Quote: "Dickens introduces Pip as a typical young child who may not be very intelligent, such as many children in the working class in the mid nineteenth century. For instance, in the beginning of the novel, Pip is looking at his parent's gravestones where he ponders the exact inscriptions on them. When the convict questions him about his parent's names, he recites them word for word from the tombstones, which in turn, indicates his youthful innocence.

"
The central theme of the essay is to explore how Dickens used tension and suspense in his writing. In this quote, you talk about pip's characteristics. Not sure whether it's relevant to the purpose of exploring how Dickens use suspense. Maybe you could make the quote more relevant by describing how his innocent trait brings out the reader's fear of him being exploited or how his daring (shown by when he helps Magwich) characteristics brings out an air of anticipation.

quote: "
In the opening chapters, I believe Charles Dickens is trying to set the scene and introduce the main characters, including the protagonist, Pip, and of the many antagonists, Magwich. He is also giving us an in-depth overview of Pip's life and his lifestyle. For example, he lives with his sister, Mrs. Joe and her husband, Joe Gargery and both of his parents have passed away. We know that he is an orphan because when he is looking at his mother's tombstone, Magwich asked him, "And is that your father alonger your mother?", and Pip confirms his query, "Yes, sir"."

Connect your thoughts to the purpose of the essay. Here you talk about how the writer is setting the scenes, but how does it relate to the suspense in the novel? Does he create suspense with interesting characters? Suspenseful scenario? etc. If it does write it down, instead of " I believe Charles Dickens is trying to set the scene and introduce the main characters" you could write I believe Charles Dickens is trying to set the scene and introduce (the odd, interesting, innocent, desperate, etc) main characters as a way of creating anticipation. Remember the reader can't read your mind, so make sure you always relate back to your purpose.

Overall i thought it was very detailed and I can tell that you know the book very well. But it would help for you to read over each paragraph and reflect on whether or not it have to do with the assignment. Good Job!

P.S. not sure whether this was helpful my first attempt at revising others' work. Sorry if i made no sense.
This needs some good organization. Can you start by telling the reader, in the first paragraph, a few characteristics of Dickens' way of building tension? What is his way? This is what the essay should be about. You have a lot of good info here, so you need to present it now as evidence to support your claims about Dickens.

It's not enough just to tell about what happened in the story. Stay focused on your explanation of how tension builds, and be specific.

Magwich behaves erratically towards Pip, seizing him "by the chin"(put the page number in parentheses), and this builds tension for the reader because...

Try to take all this info and put it between a thesis statement (in the intro paragraph) and a reflective conclusion paragraph, so that it all shows Dickens' way of building tension. :)
You include a lot of plot summary and details that really have little or nothing to do with how Dickens builds tension and suspense. For instance, you say that "Great Expectations is primarily set in Kent, England, in the mid nineteenth century. However, as the story progresses, it is mainly set in London and partially Australia." This relates to your topic not at all. You might want to go through the readings and highlight the parts that you find suspenseful, then see if you can find commonalities in the passages that might form the basis of your essay.

Home / Writing Feedback / Great Expectations - Charles Dickens. Tension and suspense.