'a great political leader must have wits and tact' - Gre issue essay

viviana15077 7 / 21  
I recently encountered the issue essay below while practicing for my GRE test. I took 37 minutes to write the essay . Any comments are appreciated. Thank you so much.

"The perceived greatness of any political leader has more to do with the challenges faced by that leader than with any of his or her inherent skills and abilities"

Write a response in which you examine your own position on the statement. Explore the extent to which you either agree or disagree with it, and support your reasoning with evidence and/or examples. Be sure to reflect on ways in which the statement might or might not be true, and how this informs your thinking on the subject.

Ans:
A good and competent political leader must have the wits to solve unforeseen problems and always be prepared to face the insuperable challenges ahead of them rather than flaunting his or her innate skills in a campaign. Everyone is born with a special set of skills and abilities but the greatness of a political leader is determined by how well a political leader responses to a dilemma.

First and foremost, a political leader is a symbolism of a country. A political leader must be tactful and resourceful. While tact and wits are not skills that are born with, experience, especially experience solving challenges, becomes the most important qualification of a political leader. A political leader often needs to communicate with other diplomats and a good communication will result in a good relationship between countries.

However, experience is not the only element that defines a great political leader. A great political leader does not run from disaster. In fact, a great political leader will protect his or her citizens and fight to the death if necessary. For example, President George W. Bush did not avoid the 9/11, he stayed and fought for United States of America.

Although innate abilities and skills do not define a great political leader, there is no harm of having them. Inherent abilities and experience gained from facing challenges would be a perfect combination for a perfect leader. An innate skill of a political leader in music might even encourage the development of musical industry of a country.

While it may now be evident that a great political leader must have wits and tact, it is also apparent that experience build up a good image of a great political leader. Greatness must be perceived in how much a political leader has contributed, and not about how much gifted a political leader is.
chastinarivera 1 / 3  
Hi. I have read the essay. I it an easy read, easy to follow. It is not hard to see the qualifications it takes to be a political leader. The essay is very good.
Impressive intro :)

While tacts and wits are not skills that are born with, experience, especially experience solving challenges, becomes the most important qualification of a political leader.

A political leader often needs to communicate with other diplomats and a good communication will result in a good relationship between countries.--------- in my view, it is the sound diplomacy that helps build good relationships with other countries... politicians are generally good at communicating.... otherwise they cannot come to power.... but not all of them are good diplomats and their diplomatic skills can be seen only after they are elected

Good writing ! :)
OP viviana15077 7 / 21  
Hi dumi,

Thank you so much for correcting my essay. I will review my essay and make some changes. :)

Home / Writing Feedback / 'a great political leader must have wits and tact' - Gre issue essay