⚠ A Contributor has already posted here! For more answers, please re-open and Urgent this thread!

Why are group study sessions more helpful and efficient than studying alone?

Activelung /  
Grades that students acquire from exams, assignments, and projects can be perhaps the most important thing for them to decide which university or college they will attend in the future. To perform better in the evaluation from schools, each individual student has to invent his/her unique way of studying. Due to this fact, learning methods vary from students to students to a large extent these days. The various learning methods can largely fall into two categories that are studying alone and doing it with other classmates as a group. Some students prefer studying with others over sitting alone at the desk at a quiet place. There are three compelling reasons why they believe the group study session is more efficient and helpful than studying alone. It helps to increase your knowledge retention, spend less time in material which you have already mastered, and boost your motivation.

First of all, the group study session is a very powerful tool for students to improve their knowledge retention. By the meaning of knowledge retention, it is about how long your knowledge lasts in your memory. Students studying as a group, for instance, are often put in a situation where they are expected to explain and paraphrase lecture notes in front of the other classmates. This kind of activity is very influential on their learning since they have more chances to learn or review the lecture notes in different words from each other. As they talk to one another about what and how they understood, confusions about learning material can be considerably minimized by discovering the point of intersection. To put it differently, they are able to precisely find out the key points of any information as a collaborative group and reinforce their ideas.

Another great advantage of the group study session, in addition, expands the access to information among classmates. There is always a possibility that students might miss writing down some important concepts on their notes from lectures. Fortunately this problem is easily solved by forming a study group where students feel free to share their lecture notes and knowledge with others. Studying with others, moreover, allows for varied perspectives and creative ideas to be delivered among each other. By this mean, students will eventually end up with expanded access to knowledge and obtaining good source of feedback.

Writer's message: This is my first time using this forum for the purpose of improvement on writing. Please, feel free to add your feedback below if you can replace some sentences with better ones. If there are some weird things written on this, I would be glad to know how to fix them. I'm really looking forward to your response and support!
Hi Rick,I'm glad you found this website and as much as you expected, we aim at providing you with the most comprehensive and accurate feedback, in order for you to strengthen your essay.

Having said that, I would like to share that I for one, enjoys group sessions, it does not only help in your studies, it also foster a very good relationship between classmates and friends that will hopefully be a long live friendship,

Now, going back to your essay, I must say you have a logical approach of the ideas and how to properly create a meaningful and easy to comprehend essay, you also focused on the task at hand and this is very important when you are writing an essay. Overall, there is only very minor enhancements to be made such as the one made by another contributor above and I hope you follow through and keep writing.
OP Activelung /  
Thank you so much for the feedback. But I would like to ask you some more questions below:
1. What is the difference between "Access of" and "Access to" ?

2. What should I use between "Helpful to something" and "Helpful in something" ?

3. According to your feedback, you say "this kind of activity is.." needs to be changed to "this kind of activities is.." .

Don't people normally use "these kinds of activities are.." or "this kind of activity is.." ?
Again, I really appreciate your support. Thank you very much!
Hi Rick, thank you for writing back to us and we do appreciate every feedback and words of appreciation are the kind of words that get us going.

Now, to address your concerns, please find my insights below;

1. What is the difference between "Access of" and "Access to"?
Well, the difference is, "access of" is when one has the privilege of using such access and "access to" is when one has the option of using one thing or not, while both has the right to use or enter but they have other options to do so

2. What should I use between "Helpful to something" and "Helpful in something"?
In this phrase, it really depends on how you use it, nevertheless, I believe it will be appropriate to use "to assist or give assistance " rather than the word "help", personally,the word "help" shouts desperation, however, if it is necessary to convey your idea then it will suffice.

3. According to your feedback, you say "this kind of activity is.." needs to be changed to "this kind of activities is..".

Don't people normally use "these kinds of activities are.." or "this kind of activity is.."?
In this area, it should be written, "These kinds of activities are....",again it depends on how it will run in the sentence and the need of the phrase in sending your message across.

There you have it Rick, I hope the above remarks help and do let us know should you need further assistance.
OP Activelung /  
Thank you very much for a quick response to the questions. Prepositions placed right next to verbs or nouns usually become my major concern during writing an essay. I really hope the feedback can give good assistance to my future writings.

I truly wish you good luck, justivy03!
Rick, it sounds to me like you were supposed to write a comparison essay based upon the title that includes versus (vs.) in the title. This implies a comparison is to be done in the essay. Therefore, your essay should have followed the structure as follows: 1 Introduction (that includes your choice or side supported) , 1 discussion paragraph opposing your stand, 1 paragraph supporting your stand, then a summation in the form of a conclusion. In this instance, you only supported one side and thoroughly discussed that aspect of your essay. However, even in a persuasive essay, you need to discuss both sides in order to successfully persuade the reader or, as in this case, present a convincing comparison essay.

The overall content of the essay is well discussed and supported. You made a convincing discussion supporting your side. You understood the prompt and knew exactly what you wished to say. Those are the positive aspects of your essay that made it strong. It's weakness, lies in its one sided discussion of the prompt provided.

Home / Writing Feedback / Why are group study sessions more helpful and efficient than studying alone?