Essay on Group Therapy vs. Individual Therapy

lnddancer1 1 / 1  
General Psychology

Group Therapy vs. Individual Therapy

Although there are two main types of therapy, there are several ways therapy can be fulfilled; the two most common types are individual psychotherapy and group psychotherapy. Group therapy could be considered more useful that individual therapy because group therapy gathers people with similar problems and allows them to have a discussion about them rather than a one-on-one session with a therapist.

If a patient chooses to participate in group therapy, they should be aware that it is most effective if it is long term and can be combined with some individual therapy. Group therapy can help a person break out of their comfort level and improve their social skills. It is important for the patient to realize that they are not alone and that there is nothing wrong with asking for help.

There are many advantages to group therapy. Group therapy is often given at a lower cost because the therapist is able to split his or her bill and time between several patients. Group therapy is also a great teaching method; it allows clients or patients to see how other people handle their issues and gives them prospective. It provides an opportunity to see how the client or patient interacts with others and gives them social and emotional support from those suffering in the same ways. This support may be the greatest advantage to group therapy. It allows the patient to see that they are not alone in their issues and that others are facing the same struggles.

Although there are several advantages to group therapy, it is not appropriate in every situation. Individual therapy should be considered if the client or patient is not comfortable with others knowing their secrets and fears. This person should not be in group therapy because he or she would be hesitant to open up and voice their issues. This is also true of extremely shy people because they would be reluctant to speak at all. Another disadvantage to group therapy is that time must be divided between all the patients; this could be a huge issue for someone who needs someone to pay attention to only them. An individual setting may be more appropriate for patients suffering from severe psychiatric disorders involving paranoia because they may not be able to handle a group setting.

Group therapy can be accomplished in several different ways but it is most commonly preformed through family counseling or through self-help groups. Family counseling is beneficial when a member of the family is dealing with marital problems, disciplinary issues, or sibling rivalry. Self-help groups are encouraged for those dealing with substance abuse issues, anxiety problems, and those with specific phobias.

Family counseling focuses on the family as a whole. Rather than blaming one family member, every member of the family is seen as a contributor to the issue. Group therapy exemplifies that every member plays a role. For example, a child can be seen as the problem because he is acting out. But in reality, he is only acting out because his father does not provide adequate attention and his mother spoils him. This family should go to counseling because they are all to blame.

The main goal of family counseling is to recognize the negative and unhealthy ways that family members act and work toward changing those ways through positive, directed, and supervised discussion. Those who go to family counseling recognize that they have a problem and are making an attempt to solve it as a team.

As previously mentioned, self-help groups are another form of group therapy. People who attend self-help groups show initiative; they recognize that they have a problem or fear and are productively doing something to change it. People attend self-help groups because they are free but more importantly, because they would rather meet with people who have similar problems than a therapist. It may be hard for someone to relate to a therapist who has never had an eating disorder but it is comforting to know that others are dealing with the same issues. Rather than leaders, self-help groups have volunteers who lead individual meetings; these volunteers struggle with the same problems as those in the group and are able to relate with members better because they know firsthand the difficulties others are facing. Groups are specific and range from Alcoholics Anonymous to groups that focus on the challenges faced by those who have parents with dementia.

In conclusion, group therapy could easily be considered more useful than individual psychotherapy. Group therapy provides insight into one's problems because they are able to see how others are dealing with their problems. Although group therapy is not for everyone, it is beneficial because it is comforting to know that you are not alone. Group therapy provides emotional and social support to those who have nowhere else to turn and provides exposure to others with similar problems.

Group therapy may not entirely solve a person's problems, but it will provide the client or patient the confidence he or she needs in order to move on. Therapy can provide an outlet for communication and frustration; it can be a safe haven for those who are lost. The main goal of psychotherapy is to help people understand themselves better; it is the spark that could change a person's life. Although any therapy is considered good, group therapy will provide a lost person with an accountability partner and will provide the motivation they need to complete their goal. Whether a person decides to go to family counseling, support groups or activity groups, any type of help is good and shows that the problem is recognized.
viviana15077 7 / 21  
Hi Lisa

You wrote a very good essay. I noticed a few errors though:
1) more useful than individual therapy
2)This is also true for extremely shy people
Your essay is almost error-free, little run-ons and sentence fragments. Keep it up.
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
I think you should improve the introduction. An introduction reveals that what points are going to argue in an essay. This important point was not observed in the introduction of your essay, and this is the week point of the introduction, in my point of view. A reader needs to know the following paragraphs will cover which part of the topic. Indeed, this is just my opinion and it is a suggestion.

Regards
Ahmad

Home / Writing Feedback / Essay on Group Therapy vs. Individual Therapy