Health promotion - Article Summary

hunnybun39 10 / 26  
Hi,
Just wondering how my grammar was doing, any suggestions are welcome!

Health Promotion Article: Summary

Research shows that one in five elementary school and one in ten middle school students in the US is bullied. Bully victims experience consequences such as sleep difficulties, bed wetting, headaches, stomach-aches, fatigue and school related problems. They can also experience low self-esteem, anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, and may feel socially rejected or isolated. Children who bully are more likely to be involved in activities such as fighting, vandalism, carrying weapons, stealing, and getting in trouble with the law. Several factors play a key role in predicting bullying experiences (both bullying and victimization) these include low socioeconomic status, divorce/separation, harsh home environment, child abuse, or authoritarian parenting style. The purpose of this study is to try to get a clear understanding of children's perceptions of bullying. Data was obtained from 1229 children aged 9 to 13 years. Significant responses show

- 1/3 of 9-13 year olds report being bullied once in a while
- 15% say they were bullied at least weekly
- 1 in 7 children were afraid to go to school at least once in a while because of bullying
- When bullied, almost half of the children stated they fight back, ΕΊ tell an adult, 20% do nothing, 8% try to talk to the bully
- 2/3 claimed they try to tell or try to stop bullying when they see it, 16% do nothing, and 20% join in
- Boys report being victims of more daily bullying but they are more likely to say they are never afraid to go to school
- Boys are more likely to act aggressively (fight back or join in)
- Girls are more likely to tell an adult
- Younger children are more likely to say they have been bullied, they are more likely to try to talk to the bully or to an adult and less prone to fight back

- Younger children were more likely to try to stop bullying or to tell someone who could help and less likely to do nothing or join in

- Younger children were also more likely to say they do not bully
- Children who admitted to frequently bullying others were more likely to think bullying is cool, but they were also more likely to claim they were victims of daily bullying

- The two most common responses for why kids bully were perception of increased popularity (35%), and to get what they want or to push others around (32%)

The study concludes that the key to bullying prevention may be the bystanders. By sending a clear message that bullying is un-cool, and that they should never join in bullying, and together with other bystanders getting assistance for the victims we can reduce bullying behaviour. Lastly we must remember that bullies are often victims of their environments and we must work jointly with teachers, parents and communities to raise the issue of bullying and to prevent it.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
"Research shows that one in five elementary school and one in ten middle school students in the US is bullied. Citation: what research? Bully victims experience consequences such as sleep difficulties, bed wetting, headaches, stomach-aches, fatigue, and school related problems. Citation needed

Your essay is very clear and organized, but lacking any resources. Where did you find this information? If it is not properly cited, you run the risk of being accused of plagiarism, expulsion, or other consequences. Make sure you cite properly.
OP hunnybun39 10 / 26  
Hi, thanks for the suggestions, I'm just supposed to summarize the article, no analysis is needed. Also do i need to put in the citations if it is just one article i am summarizing and all my facts are coming from this article?
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
That depends on the citation style your instructor/institution requires. Once you find that out you can do a quick internet seach using the name of the style and "examples"; this will bring you tons of examples as to how to arrange and cite different types of information.

Home / Writing Feedback / Health promotion - Article Summary