My Essay "Heros or Tyrants?" - Needs critique and help with transitions......

JMcClain 1 / -  
Hero or Tyrant?
What makes a person a hero? Is it defined by his or hers actions? Or by their courage and strength that one possess in the face of impossible odds? According to 'Dictioary" The definition of Hero is "a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal." A certain culture or group of people might see a hero in the actions of an individual, but to others with different values these same actions could be seen as a tyrant or a terrorist. One does not need to possess super human strength, able to fly or see though walls to be considered a hero, but be able to demonstrate courage, strength, and conviction in their actions.

When Hitler or Osama Bin Laden came into power, they were considered by some as Hero's; while at the rest of the world see these same people were considered evil or monsters. In their minds, they considered what Third Reich done to be for a worthy cause and their actions righteous. Hitler committed incredible acts of evil during his rule: Mass genocide, racial purification, and absolute power for many under his regime. By these actions, many who had similar mindsets considered him the hero of Germany, a leader who can cleanse the world of impurity. In the end, he and the rest who blindly followed him were dead and Germany was a defeated country.

Osama Bin Laden first gained power as being a freedom fighter during the conflict between Afghanistan and The Soviet Union. He obtained a lot of support during this time and came to be very wealthy though drug trade and selling illegal weapons. Several years after the conflict he considered American to be great evil to the Middle East because of the incursion of military bases in that region. He, and his many followers, started to attack military targets in that region by using terrorist tactics: Such as suicide bombing, killing of local militias that stood against Obamas forces and killing innocent people. After the atrocities that he committed against not only his own people, but also against the American military he quickly became a hero and the holy leader of the terrorist organization Al-Qaeda. After the 9/11, attacks in New York and Washington DC this only amplified his hero status around the globe for many extremists who followed the same cause. - He shown to the rest of the world that The United States was vulnerable.

The war in Afghanistan is very controversial. Many Americans wonder if the United States should even be there helping the Afghanis with eliminating terrorists from that part of the world? Agree or not with the war, but no person should take away what these soldiers are sacrificing for the freedom that people take for granted. The brave Men and Woman of not only our armed forces but also our allies as well defend our way of life, our freedom and keep terrorism at bay.

For me being a hero is a person or group of people who shows unwavering courage in the face of unbelievable odds. The firefighters of the horrific day of 9/11 are the extraordinary individuals who demonstrated that level of bravery. 343 brave Men and Woman gave their lives to try to protect those who needed it the most. With unwavering courage, they ran into the twin towers, not thinking about their own safety but to help those in dire need. Some of the most courageous firefighters in the world lost their life doing what they thought were the right thing to do, and to protect the innocent.

Police officers really get a bad reputation most of the time. It is true that some officers abuse their power or are corrupt, but for the majority he or she really does so much to keep out cities and streets protected. In 2012 84 police officers gave their lives to protect who they took an oath to serve. In 2011 174 officers gave their life in the line of duty.

Being a good Samaritan and helping a complete stranger might, in their eyes, see you as a hero to him or her. Standing up for someone who is being bullied, helping someone on the side of the road who has car difficulties, or helping others after a disaster such as a hurricane or a tornado.

The word "hero' is very subjective and its meaning is different to many cultures with different values or beliefs. The world has these incredible individuals all around us. Most do not even consider themselves heroes; they do not care about being paraded around by the media, or are just too humble see themselves as anything special. He or she does what they think is the right thing to do in otherwise conditions that many other individuals might run or shy away from.
elevit2 9 / 20  
When you stated: "A certain culture or group of people might see a hero in the actions of an individual, but to others with different values these same actions could be seen as a tyrant or a terrorist. One does not need to possess super human strength, able to fly or see though walls to be considered a hero, but be able to demonstrate courage, strength, and conviction in their actions," the transition from saying that people can see a hero as a tyrant to what a hero should demonstrate is a bit confusing.

Also, for this paragraph: "When Hitler or Osama Bin Laden came into power, they were considered by some as Hero's; while at the rest of the world see these same people were considered evil or monsters. In their minds, they considered what Third Reich done to be for a worthy cause and their actions righteous. Hitler committed incredible acts of evil during his rule: Mass genocide, racial purification, and absolute power for many under his regime. By these actions, many who had similar mindsets considered him the hero of Germany, a leader who can cleanse the world of impurity. In the end, he and the rest who blindly followed him were dead and Germany was a defeated country," make sure that the last sentence summarizes the point of the paragraph and how it connects to your thesis(main) idea of the entire essay.

Do this same process for the other paragraphs and you should be fine.

Home / Writing Feedback / My Essay "Heros or Tyrants?" - Needs critique and help with transitions......