Writing about Heuristics that relates to your life

comet2000 10 / 48  
Assignment: Heuristics offer "mental shortcuts" that save us effort in attempting to understand the social world. While this is often useful can you think of situations in which following this principle is inappropriate? Why? Give examples of the availability and representativeness heuristics in your life.

For full credit remember to:

1 Provide a detailed answer (more than 2 sentences) to all of the questions.
2 Give correct examples of the Heuristics.
3 Have at least 2 examples (more would be better).
4 Relate these Heuristics to your own life experiences.

What I wrote:

Everyday we use heuristics and might now know it. When we meet a person for the very first time who is completely different from us, the first thing that would come into our mind are "What is wrong with this person?" or "Why does this person dress like that?" We make judgements about people we don't even know. For example, if one person does something wrong, the entire group is at fault. That way of thinking is wrong and just because a person of a group does something bad doesn't mean that everyone in that group is bad. When we make unnecessary assumptions, it could lead to misinterpretion or misconception.

An example of availability heuristics that relates to my life experience is the egg recall. I heard a lot on the news about the egg recall. The first thing that comes to mind was that I better not eat anymore eggs or I might get sick. Another example is the swine flu. There was a lot of news about the swine flu that everyone should get the swine flu shot. I was saying that I probably should get one. After more research, it is probably better to wait and not rush into getting the shot.

An example of representativeness heuristics that relates to my life experience is when I was in high school. My peers and teachers all thought that I would go to college, become a docter, and save lives. Another example is when we get back our exams, the first thing that a person would do is turn to me and ask what my grade is on the exam. I lied and said I got an A without looking at what I got on the exam. I would also ask the person what his or her grade is on the exam. Another example would be that I often see a lot of people wearing suits. I assume that they work in a Business field without realizing that their jobs could be a Lawyer, interviews, politicians, etc.
ershad193 14 / 333 5  
Consider this example:

My peers and teachers all thought that I would go to college, become a doctor and save lives.

You've just described the opinions of all those people in a single sentence. What I mean is you should develop these examples. Tell us why did they think so. Were you very good in your studies? Did you have exceptional insight in the concepts of biology? Give some background information on those people.

Am I being clear?
Every day is supposed to be 2 words when you use it this way.

This part seems like bragging:
My peers and teachers all thought that I would go to college, become a docter doctor, and save lives. ---- not a mental short cut, just an assumption.

Another example is when we get back our exams, the first thing that a person would do is turn to me and ask what my grade is on the exam. I lied and said I got an A without looking at what I got on the exam.--- are you saying that you were so smart that you used a mental shortcut by assuming you got an A, as though you always get them? Maybe you did always get an A, but this is probably not a good example of heuristics.

I am pretty sure it is supposed to be something you use as a personal policy or a rule for addressing a certain kind of situation. Heuristic methods are like what people call "rules of thumb" which means a rule that is generally to be followed in a certain type of situation. It is not necessarily correct, but useful as a general rule.

Google this: heuristics examples

My favorite example of a heuristic method:
The thesis sentence should be at the end of the first paragraph.
Another example:
one paragraph = one idea

:-)

Home / Writing Feedback / Writing about Heuristics that relates to your life