Should high school students allow to take courses they like? TOEFL

Becool 4 / 6  
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? High schools should allow students to study the courses that students want to study. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

High schools play important role in our academic careers and there after throughout our lives. High schools build a strong foundation for students' college career. They may help to arouse a hidden interest in a student about a particular subject by compelling him or her to study that subject. Some people believe that students should be allowed to choose the courses of their interest while others simply disagree. In my view, students should not be given a chance to select their choice of courses in high school for two important reasons.

First, students are immature to make appropriate selections. Making choices among many is a quite complex decision making skill, especially at the age when you are in your high school. Students look for ease, never for complexity. Choosing the courses they like is most probable, but that is not appropriate because that simplicity may turn into a lack of knowledge, later. For example, I am a non-native speaker of English. I know it is hard to express my thoughts and ideas writing in English. But, even though I have to write efficiently to succeed in my academic career. If I am asked to choose whether I like to take a Writing class, I will never say that I want to take that class. For my sake, I have to be forced to take Writing courses. Similarly, I do not like many courses, such as history, biology, and chemistry, and that does not mean that I do not have to study those subjects. These are the courses that give base to future courses, bring diversity in my knowledge, and make me aware of the happenings of the world. Taking these facts into account, one can easily say that students should not be allowed to choose courses of their own choice.

Second, it opens many doors for high-school students. If high-schools' students are compelled to take all the courses specified by the school, they will take them. In the course of taking those subjects, they may experience some signs of difference in their interests about a particular subjects and may choose a different path for their future careers. For instance, I never liked Art before taking an Art class in Delaware County Community College. Now, I love art, and probably I am going to graduate in Art. If I had not taken that Art class, I would not have understood that how heart-touching subject Art is. The benefit of taking this class is that I will not have to go to Career and Counselling Center for advice about what I should do next, rather I am going to graduate majoring in a subject that I like, that is an Art. So, we learned that, like me, it may open a distinct door for others too. This proves that high school students should take courses specified by the schools.

In conclusion, even if others favor that high school should not force students to take courses they do not like, I am in a complete agreement that high-school students should take courses of their schools' choice. It does not only make the right selection of courses but also opens many doors for future careers. Students should appreciate the efforts made by high schools, and high schools should make a right selection of the courses.
Geenesh 21 / 29  
For example, I am a non-native English speaker.

I know it is hard to express my thoughts and ideas in my writing but I have to write efficiently to succeed in my academic career.

...interests about a particular subject....

- nice points...
good luck !! :)
Let's use the word EXPERIENCES:

High school experiences play important roles in our academic careers and thereafter throughout our lives.

High school experiences build a strong foundation for students' college career. ...

These are the courses that give base to future courses, bring diversity in my knowledge, and make me aware of the happenings of the world.---Great sentence!!

Now, I love art, and probably I am going to graduate in Art.---This is a good example.

Do not use FAVOR this way:
In conclusion, even if others favor believe that high school should not force...

Use favor like this:
Some favor the idea, that high school students should be forced to learn certain subjects.

:-)

Home / Writing Feedback / Should high school students allow to take courses they like? TOEFL