highest purpose of university education, personal or national goals?

jueeem 1 / -  
I believe someone has practised using this sample paper. I have just finished an essay on the question and am hoping that people will give their opinions.

Source: nus.edu.sg/celc/announcements/QET_Sample_Paper.pdf

Do you think that the highest purpose of university education should be the achievement of personal goals rather than the fulfillment of national aims?

Many individuals wonder the highest purpose of university education. The founders of tertiary institutions all around the world surely had in their mind a platform for young adults to pursue their passion and hone their skills, allowing students to utilise their creativity and drive innovation. However, the changing global climate and fluctuating economy forced nations to suit learning processes in universities to correlate with national aims, like ensuring that there is constant supply of professionals into the workforce and equipping people with relevant skills to remain employable. Both the achievement of personal goals and the fulfillment of national aims, I believe, should be the highest purpose of university education as merely trying to fulfill national aims, while the manpower does not have such capability, will not have satisfying result that country leaders aspire to achieve. The combination of both will yield the best outcome.

Universities are to work as 'strategic engines for Singapore's long term economic advancements' as Mr. Ng Eng Hen, Minister of Education and Second Minister for Defence, mentioned in his speech at the 6th Australian Universities International Alumni Convention. Therefore, as universities can transform educated individuals into professionals who can run the country successfully, university education should make it its priority. For example, the aforementioned minister also stated that the National Manpower Council in Singapore works together with tertiary institutions to match the economic needs of the country with the vacancies available in local universities. This process will then benefit a country, like Singapore, which relies heavily on its human resource to advance.

Moreover, since China is slowly becoming a profitable market and global warming is becoming a major concern of scientists, more universities are offering the Chinese language and subjects related to the study of the environment as majors that students can choose to study, as Zernike K. wrote on an article in The New York Times. Nevertheless, the article also highlights that 'specialising too soon' is not desirable. The ability to carry out 'effective communication, both spoken and writen' is the few of the skills that the majority of employers the United States seek in the workforce according to the Association of American Colleges and Universities. This means that one of the national aims - to decrease the unemployment rate - can only be accomplished by equipping individuals with the right skills that make them remain employable. Thus, it seems that personal goals should be the priority of university education as it leads to the fulfillment of national aims.

In the other hand, the highest purpose of university education needs not be just one of the two; it can be the combination of both. 'The Higher Purpose', an article from Times Higher Education Supplement, proves this by including the fact that university education can indeed impart national aims through 'public services' available in the institution, such as being a 'responsible' citizen and tolerating people of different races and beliefs. Planning the system of universities people remain 'employable' whilst students are 'developed to his or her fullest' based on one's talent is possible as mentioned in the Mr. Ng in his speech mentioned earlier. This will encourage individuals to set personal goals in line with the national aims. Therefore, both objectives should be present in university education for people and nations to thrive concurrently.

In conclusion, both the achievement of personal goals and fulfillment of national aims should be the highest purpose of university education. Governments and universities can work together to accomplish this and bring their nations to greater heights.
Many individuals wonder the about the highest purpose of university education.

The founders of tertiary institutions all around the world surely had in their minds a platform for young adults...

This process will then benefit a country, like Singapore, which relies heavily on its human resources to advance.

On the other hand, the highest purpose of university education needs not be just one of the two; it can be the combination of both.

This will encourage individuals to set personal goals in line with the national aims. Therefore, both objectives should be present in university education for people and nations to thrive concurrently.----Really good points!!

In conclusion, both the achievement of personal goals and the fulfillment of national aims should be the highest purpose of university education.

:)

Home / Writing Feedback / highest purpose of university education, personal or national goals?