History - which academic class has been your favorite

capriciousprite 6 / 20  
There are two ways you can look at history. You can be a cardboard cutout of a student by half-listening to lectures, and dismissing history as a straightforward memorization of facts. Or, you can make yourself a junior historian, and gain the ability to think in a way as multi-faceted as history itself.

History is the study of living things. Studying how a branching phylogenetic tree leads to you is just like tracing how all of the events of the past led to the sum of us. Knowing facts and dates are important in this analysis, but ultimately, history is about being able to see how the tiny molecules of information fit together: how they bond; how events catalyze other events; how the environment affects the reaction.

Once our origins are pieced together, history begins to unify us as a society. It's our collective memory, which is vital for navigating the future. Much like a trajectory problem in physics, it can tell you roughly where something is headed, but first you need two points.

At the same time, history seizes the individual. It plunges them into someone else's perspective. Like a good novel, it takes them outside of their world, and shows them that people are people, through the ages. Occasional laughs and headshakes accompany the recognition of silly stock characters.

History is common thread that connects all that I am learning in my other classes. Because nothing learned is valuable without context.
smartanddumber - / 3  
I really love the way you convey your passion for history in this essay. Maybe because I'm also a big fan of history?

I wouldn't comment on the grammatical context, for I am in no position to comment on that.

This part lacks a flow. The first and the second paragraphs lack the connection, and the last sentence, although well-written, seems awkward.

And

History is the common thread...

You seem to rely heavily on is/are/am. If you could change them into lively verbs, your essay will be even more beautiful than it already is.
artiQlate 3 / 8  
Nice phrasing! your interest in the subject really comes across!
I'm guessing you want to major in history? :D If that's the case you could mix that in, just to show the college that you've got a definite direction to match your interests.

The only thing i could possibly suggest would be to refer to history in a more personal context. Try to show how history influences you specifically, instead of generalising the effects to any person.

Good luck!

Home / Writing Feedback / History - which academic class has been your favorite