IELTS TASK2:HOME-COOKED VS BUYING FOODS - which is better?

gmad06 20 / 151 55  
Hi Friends. Once again I am sharing my work to you guys. Feel free to comment on it.

TASK:Some people say that cooking food at home is a waste of time. They claim that good restaurants are better and can make modern living easier and less stressful. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

Nowadays, the modernization of life has greatly influence the decisions of some people. In most cases, they choose something which is quick and convenient. Food preference is not an exception to this trend. These people claim that buying food is better than cooking one since it is easier and less stressful. Furthermore, they believe the latter is not time-efficient. I strongly agree to both statements.

In today's busy life, people find ordering food from restaurants very convenient for various reasons. Firstly, it merely involves looking at the menu and choosing the food only. They will not feel the hassle of reading through its recipe and knowing how to cook it. Secondly, some people like to eat but do not like to cook the type of cuisine they want. Thus, they are very happy with the provision of restaurants. Lastly, others want to dine in restaurants with relaxing ambiance. It helps them relieve the stress from work or build a rapport with their eating partner. In business oriented countries such as Hong Kong and Singapore, it is commonly observed that food centers and restaurants are more crowded compared to markets. Locals in these countries prefer to eat outside to socialize with friends and avoid the stress of preparing their food.

Apart from the advantages seen in buying food, it has been also said that home-cooked dishes are a waste of time. Numerous steps are involved to cook a meal at home. Initially, time needs to be spent in knowing and buying the essential ingredients. Besides that, tedious tasks also need to be done such as slicing the ingredients, doing the dishes, and cleaning the table. Overall, cooking is just not practical anymore. These days, people would rather save time to spare on working extra hours and doing their hobbies.

In conclusion, summing up the lifestyle people have in modern times, I believe that eating at restaurants is more suitable than preparing food at home. With so many other things to do and experience, people have little time and interest left for cooking.
Nowadays, the modernization of life has greatly influence the decisions of some people.

... Nowadays and modernization both have similar meanings and hence sounds repetitive.
quote=gmad06]These people claim that buying food is better than cooking oneat home since it is easier and less stressful. [/quote]

Firstly, it merely involves looking at the menu and choosing the food only .

In business oriented countries such as Hong Kong and Singapore, it is commonly observed that food centers and restaurants are more crowded compared to markets.

...excellent comparison :)
You write very well... Good flow, points, vocabulary and structure. Hope you managed time as well. Good luck!
Siderri 2 / 4 1  
Hi. Your essay structure is good, you have a nice range of vocabolary and you have successfully added example and comparison.
More or less, nice piece of work.

Goodluck and keep it up..
I strongly agree to both statements.

I strongly agree with both statements.

Apart from the advantages seen inof buying food,

Initially, time needs to be spent in knowing and buying the essential ingredients.

.... wish you expressed this more direct;
Initially, one need time to know and buy the essential ingredients.

I agree with Dumi... this is excellent writing and you will surely have a great score :) Wish to join the party when you get your scores! :D
OP gmad06 20 / 151 55  
Dumi, Siderri, Pahan thanks for your positive feedbacks and i appreciate
your continuous support on students like me.
jkjeremy - / 380 72  
You're supposed to agree or disagree. I don't see a third option in the prompt.
OP gmad06 20 / 151 55  
Hi John, I mentioned my stand at the introduction that I agreed to both statements.My ideas are inclined
to those statements also. Furthermore, that is also what I am trying to convey in my conclusion.

I may have confused you with my choice of words or phrases.
jkjeremy - / 380 72  
Hi to you too!

I saw what you did. What you did violates the rules of the prompt.

Agreeing to both statements is not an option. The question asks you to agree or disagree.

To use a rather lame analogy, I don't care how fast you can run 50 yards if I'm asking you to run a mile.
OP gmad06 20 / 151 55  
Agreeing to both statements is not an option. The question asks you to agree or disagree

In that case, I may have misunderstood the prompt. I thought that both statements were related in a sense that the
second statement was just a supporting alternative for the first statement.

I will work on improving this essay but I am still trying to understand what you mean.
jkjeremy - / 380 72  
Here's the statement.

Some people say that cooking food at home is a waste of time. They claim that good restaurants are better and can make modern living easier and less stressful.

Then here's the question they want you to answer:

Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

---They don't give you the option to agree AND disagree.
---They don't ask you to agree, disagree, OR do both.
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  

Yes, I agree with jkjeremy. The topic is an "agree or disagree" type and you need to take one position, either agree or disagree. Some examiners are strict and you should consider this point :)
jkjeremy - / 380 72  
Some examiners are strict and you should consider this point :)

I don't think it's "strict" to expect a writer to answer the question as asked.

However, gmad, I know it's not always easy. This is the #1 problem with essays of all kinds.
OP gmad06 20 / 151 55  

I perfectly get your point on these statements and I am totally in favor about what you said.
However, what confuses me is that why am I having a different perspective of the essay. For
my understanding both statements do not contrast each other, they support each other. Thus,
I am not placed in a position to choose whether I agree that home-cooked are a waste of time
or restaurant is better because its easier. Instead, I was asked if I agree that home-cooked meals
are a waste of time and that restaurants are better because they are easier.

I just don't see how you see it and that makes me disappointed about myself...I am not giving up though.Thank you John.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS TASK2:HOME-COOKED VS BUYING FOODS - which is better?