TOEFL essay "homework - necessary or not"

silver_bullet 2 / 2  
Many teachers assign homework to students every day. Do you think that daily homework is necessary for students? Use specific reason and details to support your answer.

There is no doubt that many teachers assign homework to students every day. They think that can help their students study better, but in my opinion, I disagree with this behavior because it takes bad effects for students.

A day of students can be divided into three parts: time in school, time to do personal activities as research, play sport...and time to sleep. For this reason, time to study is only limited in time in school. Students go to the school to learn, so it is enough. They do not have to do same work when they come back home. If a teacher wants to assign homework to her students, it means she thinks she did not complete her responsibility of imparting knowledge to her students.

Another reason, students may lose their activeness of learning with too much homework. They only use what they learned in school to complete their homework passively. That invisibly limited self-researching and improving of students, became a bar of free thought and action. As a result, the students feel bored, even stress and get some diseases as shortsighted, fat...because they must do same work every day.

Homework incompletely causes bad effects, but it necessary for only students who are too intelligent or too lazy and mischievous. They need more homework to burn their superfluous energy. With other students, homework is only problem wasting their time.

In conclusion, I disagree with assigning homework to students because that only makes more unnecessary difficulty for them.

ps: please help me about not only grammar but also ideas
Poojasugandhi 18 / 35  
Hi,
Your third para is incomplete. causes bad effects... mention the effects...
too short for toefl exam.
margarita 8 / 25  
maybe you can map your ideas first, then support them.

Introduction:

Body:
1.-Homework is not needed if time is well managed at school (idea 1)
-time in school subject learning
-time to do personal activities
-play sport

2.-students may lose their activeness of learning with too much homework (idea 2)
- bad effects

Conclusion: bring the ideas to the conclusion
Homework incompletely can have good and bad effects. It is necessary for only students who are too energetic, lazy, or mischievous. They need more homework to burn their superfluous energy. With other students, homework is only a problem that is wasting their time.

:-)
hitchhike 14 / 27  
Hi,
There are some suggestion,

1. use a sentence to motivate your reader(s)
2. use thesis statement to organize your toughts
3. some synonims for students, Ex. pupils
4. Third paragraph is not convincing

Hope what i mentioned are useful for you.
tiantianwenzi 3 / 8  
I think some statements in your essay don't develop well.
For example" If a teacher wants to assign homework to her students, it means she thinks she did not complete her responsibility of imparting knowledge to her students."

I am confused about this. You may try to support more details about your opinion.

Wish you succeed!

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL essay "homework - necessary or not"