"Human Trafficking Today's Modern Day Slavery"

rh07391 1 / -  
I need feedback on my essay and to know if i applied the apa correctly[/b]Any guidenacesupport will be greatly appreciated.

Human Trafficking Today's Modern Day Slavery

No nation is immune from the curse of human trafficking. The most powerful nation to the simplest of nations are not immune from modern day slavery. Some nations do not even know the true definition of what human trafficking is. The main contributors to human trafficking are governmental corruption, economic and social crisis within each nation's borders. Now most nations are coming together to learn more about the slavery and how to battle it internally and abroad.

What is human trafficking?
The recruitment, transportation, transfer, harboring or receipt of persons, by means of the threat or use of force or other forms of coercion, of abduction, of fraud, of deception, of the abuse of power or of a position of vulnerability or of the giving or receiving of payments or benefits to achieve the consent of a person having control over another person, for the purpose of exploitation. Exploitation includes, at a minimum, the exploitation of the prostitution of others or other forms of sexual exploitation, forced labour or services, slavery or practices similar to slavery, servitude or the removal of organs. Albert, S., Aronowitz, A., Fowke, M., Sarrica, F., Symalzek, J. (2006 p.50)

57 years after of the United Nations Universal Declaration Human Rights that all men and woman are born free and are to have equal rights passed in 1948 (Universal Declaration of Human Rights, 2003). This declaration is a great accomplishment, but with no teeth. Many of the participating nations in the United Nations do not even apply this very law to their own people. 57 years should not be acceptable for anyone's race, or culture not to be enslaved or exploited.

Half a century has gone by only to find all nations are still trying to understand what human trafficking is. Humanity has evolved enormous strides only to still practice some of the earliest crimes known to man. There is no excuse for this to be even happening in this day and age. There are still scores of issues with human trafficking that violate the very articles of the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights.

A 21 year old Philippine girl tried to get a good job as a dance troupe in Japan. On arrival her employer confiscated her visa and started her working as a hostess wearing lingerie. If Gina left the bar she would either be beaten or arrested. Gina was trapped (Shannon, 2007). Pot flew to Bangkok as a factory worker and was promised to be paid well. When she arrived her passport was taken away and she was locked up with other girls. She then continued the flight to South Korea to pick up more girls under age and then landed in Japan where she was sold to a manager to work as a prostitute and pay her debt off. Pot eventually escaped after 8 months (Shannon, 2007).

19 year old Katya was influenced by a nice woman to work in a restaurant. She had given Katya false advertisements of a job. She was now selling herself as a prostitute in a disco and then her friend sold her to another pimp where there were 7 women to a room in another town. If they attempted to escape the women were beaten. The only money the woman were given was for food. Katya was eventually was saved by the police. A young orphaned girl was promised by a lady to adopt her. The orphaned girl was lured to Turkey. The young girl ended up in the same place as Katya prostituting (Sea of tears; People-trafficking in Odessa. (Sept 23, 2006).

In Mexico it is common where older men target young girls, only to rape the girls. This starts of a form of slavery all on it's own. The shame the young girl feels and the betrayal of her family, because she was raped and is considered dirty. The families will have the young girls married to the rapist to save face. 14 year old Yolanda was raped on her way home. Virginity and reputation is everything in this culture. After being beaten many times Yolanda left to the United States. Yolanda's neighbor encouraged and lured her into a trap. Yolanda sold her body for 6 months afraid for her family at home. The promise of a great job is another tactic used to start the trafficking process (Garland, May 2006).

Yolanda was eventually saved by a police raid on the brothel she was working at. She is currently in an immigration detention center awaiting help. Florencia left her 3 young children for a job in Los Angeles working in a small factory. 40 days Florencia was locked up in the factory working long hours finally escaped. She still lives in fear, but now joined an advocacy group to help other in her same situation (Garland, May 2006).

After unanimous votes in Congress, President Bush signed into law in early January the Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2005, drawing praise from human rights and religious groups. The act's provisions include investigation of domestic trafficking and protection of vulnerable groups in post-war and humanitarian situations. According to the legislation, up to 800,000 individuals each year--80 percent of whom are women and girls--are internationally trafficked or commercially exploited for sex or labor. (Kennel-Shank, April 2006).

Melissa Snow, deputy director of communication for Shared Hope International, an anti-trafficking organization headquartered in Vancouver, Washington, told Sojourners that the bill represents a shift in focus, "addressing the client--the pedophile, the sex offender--as well as going after the ones exploiting the women--the pimps." Snow, who was present at the White House signing of the bill, said the bill addresses the problem of trafficking in the United States. The bill states that 100,000 to 300,000 U.S. children at a given time face the risk of being exploited for sex or work and may be trafficked for that purpose (Kennel-Shank, April 2006).

A social crisis is in every nation. Poverty and corruption sees no boundaries. Any one nation will find such a state or town as this within its own borders. There are some nations that have infighting, revolutions and wars that devastate regions. Flint reported in the Drafur region of Sudan region clothes food, shelter and water are needed as the result of civil war (March 2004). Hawley reported depleted uranium rounds used pose a health hazard to the environment in Iraq. The land is not safe for any human until it is cleaned up thus displacing the victims suffering from war damage to the homes and land. (Summer 2003).

These types of conditions are breading grounds for human trafficking. There will always be groups that are opportunist to feed off of these weaknesses. These conditions alone will be an open a door-for trafficking of humans as diagram 1 shows just for the year of 2006. There is an unending demand for both cheap labor and sex in all nations. "There is an undeniable pattern that young girls and woman are more at risk, because of the marketability and the sexual service the victims provide" (United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF), 2003, p.27).

// plagiarized parts from online sources have been deleted by moderator //

References

Albert, S., Aronowitz, A., Fowke, M., Sarrica, F., Symalzek, J. (2006), Trafficking in Persons: Global Patterns, United Nations Interregional Crime and justice research Institute (UNICRI), Retrieved on February 4, 2007, from unodc.org/pdf/traffickinginpersons_report_2006ver2.pdf

Costa, A. (2006, p.1) Trafficking Persons: Global Patterns, UNODC, Retrieved on February 4, 2007, from unodc.org/unodc/en/trafficking_persons_report_200 [/url] 6-04.html
Falk, Richard. "Kosovo Revisited. (Editorial)." The Nation 270.14 (April 10, 2000): 3. Opposing Viewpoints Resource Center. Thomson Gale. University of Phoenix. 4 Mar. 2007
find.galegroup.com/ips/infomark
Garland, S. (May 2006) This woman was forced into slavery ... in the U.S.: they dreamed of a better life. Instead, they found themselves ensnared in the most hideous black-market trade of modern times: human trafficking. Every year, thousands of women are bought from overseas suppliers to work as slaves in U.S. brothels, factories, and private homes--and the number are growing. In Marie Claire, 13, p124(6). Retrieved January 25, 2007, from InfoTrac OneFile via Thomson Gale

Hawley, Steve. "The remains of War. (Lethal Weapons).(health hazards from depleted uranium weapons)." OnEarth 25.2 (Summer 2003): 11(1). Academic OneFile. Thomson Gale. University of Phoenix. 4 Mar. 2007

Kennel-Shank, C. (April 2006)Anti-trafficking success. (Brief article). In Sojourners, 35, p.11 (1). Retrieved January 25, 2007, from Academic OneFile via Thomson Gale
Kimbriell, K. (2006 p.8) Sold in the U.S.A.: More human trafficking cases are originating within the U.S., but the plight of the victims is unheard. (United States) (Cover Story). In the Chicago reporter, Retrieved January 25, 2007, from InfoTrac OneFile via Thomson Gale

Prepared Remarks of the Attorney General Gonzales at the 2006 national Conference on Human Trafficking New Orleans. (Oct 3, 2006) In The America's Intelligence Wire, pNA. Retrieved February 11, 2007, from InfoTrac via Thomson Gale

Sea of tears; People-trafficking in Odessa. (Sept 23, 2006) In The Economist (US), 380, p63US. Retrieved January 25, 2007, from Academic OneFile via Thomson Gale
Shannon, D. (2007, 20, p.18) Poverty fuels trafficking to Japan. In Herizons, Retrieved January 25, 2007, from Academic OneFile via Thomson Gale
"The Universal Declaration of Human Rights." Peace and Freedom 66.1 (Spring 2006): 5(1). Retrieved March 2, 2007, from Academic OneFile. Thomson Gale
Trafficking in Persons Report (TIP). (2006 p. 6). U.S. Department of State Publications 11252, Office of the Undersecretary for Global Affairs. Retrieved March 2, 2007, from state.gov/g/tip
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

You have found a lot of information about a powerful subject. Here are some editing tips:

The most powerful nation to the simplest of nations are not immune from modern day slavery. - Should be "is not immune" because your subject is singular.

Albert, S., Aronowitz, A., Fowke, M., Sarrica, F., Symalzek, J. (2006 p.50)+ - In-text parenthetical citations have their own particular form, which is different from the form used in the References section. Use the authors' last names only, like this: (Albert, Aronowitz, Fowke, Sarrica & Symalzek, 2006.)

57 years after of [typo?] the United Nations Universal Declaration Human Rights that all men and woman are born free and are to have equal rights passed in 1948 (Universal Declaration of Human Rights, 2003). - This is a sentence fragment; also, do not begin a sentence with a numeral; write out the word "Fifty-seven." You do this several times throughout the essay; be sure to correct them all.

A 21 year old Philippine girl tried to get a good job as a dance troupe in Japan. - A "troupe" is, by definition, a group. She tried to get a job "in" or "with" a troupe.

This starts of a form of slavery all on it's own. - The possessive form of "its" does not have an apostrophe.

The shame the young girl feels and the betrayal of her family, because she was raped and is considered dirty. - Sentence fragment.

40 days Florencia was locked up in the factory working long hours finally escaped. - This seems to have some words missing.

These types of conditions are breading grounds for human trafficking. - "breeding"

These conditions alone will be an open a door-for trafficking of humans - I think you meant "will be an open door for"

I'm not sure why your "Garland" entry in the References list has a paragraph of text with it...?

There are many places online where you can get specific instruction on how to cite APA style, with examples which are very helpful.

Best of luck in your studies!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Writing Feedback / "Human Trafficking Today's Modern Day Slavery"