IELTS: Humans responsibility to prevent lesser-known languages from dying out

boannie 1 / 1  
Every year several languages die out. Some people think that this is not important because life will be easier if there are fewer language in the world. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Due to the proliferation of several universal languages such as English, some people advocate the conservation of some lesser-known languages is redundant as everyone can lead a peaceful life without communication barriers. While I think life may become monotonous and boring if fewer languages are spoken.

First of all, the extinction of a language can undermine its traditional culture. That is because language and culture collectively comprise an ethic group. In China, the ancient language on tortoise shells with descriptions of all creatures in nature can still be interpreted until today because Chinese is still in use. Mayan civilisation, unfortunately, is not well-documented and on the brink of extinction because virtually no expert can decipher the language carved on sculptures accurately. As a result, it is difficult for us to explore such a mysterious, yet well-established culture which reveals the wisdom of our ancestors.

However, some people think communication barriers could be considerably removed or wiped out as with the majority of individuals speaking one common language, it is easier for citizens in these regions to interact with each other in terms of diplomacy, academic communication, business trade, etc. Thus the efficiency of communication is most likely to be facilitated significantly. However, a language suggests some precious cultural know-how which is very hard to be expressed by another language. In this sense, it is more or less impossible for either to express comprehensively to build a profound relationship when they use the more influential language as a second language.

In sum, speaking the same languages may facilitate communication among different communities whereas precious cultural resources are missing which could be great assets to us. The mission of inheriting a culture reflects whether we attach great importance to preserving a language. Therefore, in order to maintain culture diversity, human needs to shoulder the responsibility to prevent lesser-known languages from dying out.
Due to the proliferation of several universal languages such as English, some people advocate the conservation of some lesser-known languages is redundant as everyone can lead a peaceful life without communication barriers.

This sentence is too long and therefore less interesting for the reader. Also, you get carried away and have the tendency to make mistakes when your sentences are too long.
OP boannie 1 / 1  
Thanks so much for your suggestion.
First of all, the extinction of a language can undermine its traditional culture.

.... I like if you presented this idea a bit differently;
First of all, the extinction of a language would deteriorate its cultural values.

That is because language and culture collectively comprise an ethic group.

.... this one too... expand the idea to be presented in a bit more detailed manner.
This is because the language and culture both are very closely knitted that the disappearance of one would cause the disappearance of the other. Since the culture shapes the value system of its community, the extinction of the language invariably would affect negatively on their value system.

until today

until to date
In China, the ancient language on tortoise shells with descriptions of all creatures in nature can still be interpreted until today because Chinese language is still in use.surviving.

You have very good writing skills. Good ideas and vocabulary. Pay a little more attention to grammar to go for a good score :)

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS: Humans responsibility to prevent lesser-known languages from dying out