Hypothesis essay on the book, Out of This Furnace

ldixon 8 / 3  
Good evening,

I had to do a hypothesis paper on the book Out of This Furnace in the format of: IF A AND B, THEN WHY C

I used the following: Given the fact that Kracha is discriminated against for being a Slovak immigrant and that he always struggles to survive on the low wages he earns, then why does he stay in America and never return to the old country?

Could someone please check the grammar, style, and readability of my paper. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

In the Nineteenth Century Slovak immigrants traveled to America in search of prosperity and good fortune, only to be disappointed with the outcome. Shortly after arriving, they realized that there was no such thing as equal rights or equal pay. Hence, "it was their good fortune, perhaps, to come unburdened with many illusions about a land of freedom, a land where all men were equal" (Bell 124). Many of them were no better off in America than they were in the old country they left. Particularly, in the book Out of This Furnace, author Thomas Bell focuses on Kracha, a Slovak immigrant who migrated to America. Kracha "had come to America to find work, to make a living" (Bell 124). He immediately finds work in America, but quickly sees first hand that America is not as glorious as he'd expected. For the most part, the work was hard, the pay was bad, and the natives were hostile towards Slovak immigrants. Despite the fact that Kracha works very hard barely earning enough money to survive and was discriminated against for being a Slovak immigrant, he never returns to the old country.

First of all, Kracha never gives up hope that someday life in America will be pleasant and satisfying. "He hoped he was likewise leaving behind the endless poverty and oppression which were the birthrights of a Slovak peasant" (Bell 3). Kracha arrives in America with high expectations of wealth and success, for instance as he departs from Zuska, a woman he'd met on the boat, he proclaims, "Till we meet again. Who knows? We may all be millionaires by then" (Bell 7). However, he never achieves the millionaire status, but instead has to work seven days a week just to get by. As a result, daily life was very difficult, yet "hope sustained him, as it sustained them all; hope and the human tendency to fell that, dreadful though one's circumstances might be at the moment, there were depths of misfortune still unplumbed beneath one, there were people much worse off" (Bell 47).

In addition, "there was always hope, the hope of saving enough money to go back in triumph to the old country, of buying a farm back in the hills, of going into business for one's self (Bell 48). Kracha actually ends up owning his own business, buying a butcher shop, which turns out to be a successful venture. Aside from Kracha's hope for himself, he also appears to have hope that his children, being American born, will achieve success in America. As illustrated in his reply to a question, "Suppose I was lucky, suppose I made a lot of money. By that time the girls would be big. They were all born here, they went to school here, they're more American than anything else" (Bell 59).

Secondly, Kracha has difficulties saving up enough money to make the long and unpleasant trip back to the old country. Accordingly, the most logical explanation to why might have something to do with the turbulences of the economy. Kracha argues, "You know what it's been like ever since we came to America. Good times, bad times, good times, bad times, one after the other. What we save in good times we have to spend to keep alive in bad" (Bell 60). Not to mention the fact that he also now has a family, which complicates things even more especially if he'd decide to go back to the old country.

Furthermore, things never seemed to change, "he worked and saved and then something happened and he was back where he'd started" (Bell 39). One day when Kracha is asked, "What would you do if you made a lot of money? Go back to the old country?" he replies, "Elena thinks she would like to go back. Since coming to America she's had a bad time of it, what with one thing and another. But it would take money, lots of money. What good would it do to go back with empty pockets?" (Bell 59). Kracha never saves enough money to fill his pockets, even when the economy is good. The closest he ever comes to success was when he buys the butcher shop, but Kracha not very responsible when it comes to money loses everything, because of an affair he has with the woman he'd met on his trip to America.

Finally, Kracha seems to think life in America offers more opportunity than the poverty-stricken life he lived in the old country. Even though Kracha is treated unfairly and discriminated against "he had come to America to find work and save money, not to make friends with the Irish" (Bell 124). Kracha appears content with what he has, especially after he achieves the American dream of owning his own business. Illustrated in a conversation with relatives he says, "Braddock is no paradise, I'll admit, but have you forgotten how we had to live in the old country?" (Bell 59). Consequently, it appears that he does not have good memories of his birthplace and never whishes to return. On the other hand, Kracha notes, "Elena thinks she would like to go back. Since coming to America she's had a bad time of it, what with one thing and another" (Bell 59). Moreover, when conversing his idea of buying a butcher shop, Kracha adds, "Elena would rather I bought a farm, but I got all I wanted of farming in the old country" (Bell 33).

All things considered, the most certifiable revelation to why Kracha never returns to the old country is his inability to save money and get ahead. With all odds against him, he struggles to survive and provide for his family. His self, partially to blame for the financial failures, makes bad decisions resulting in turmoil. The world against him, "usually he got drunk. Only whisky could pierce the shell of his weariness, warm him, make him think well of himself and his world again" (Bell 47). All in all, things could have been worse, at least he still had hope, hope for something better. Unfortunately, hope was not enough, Kracha's life falls apart right before his eyes, but he never once considers returning to his birthplace.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good evening :)

I have some general comments about the piece.

First, mechanics. Make sure you are capitalizing the first word of your quoted material. For instance, "he had come to America..." should be "He had come to America..."

Also, check your required citation style in regards to the format of the book title. Some styles require the title to be in quotation marks, others that it be in italics. Make sure you know what you need to do so you don't miss points for simple formatting errors.

Avoid contractions in formal academic writing, as they are inappropriate. For instance, "he'd..." should be "...he had..."

"...things even more, especially if he'd decide to go back to the old country."

"Unfortunately, hope was not enough; Kracha's life falls apart right before his eyes, but he never once considers returning to his birthplace."

A very nice piece. You are very organized and use great transitions between paragraphs. the pace moves logically and smoothly from one point to the next, and the conclusion is a fitting ending to the piece, tying it up nicely; it draws a conclusion and expounds upon that thought. Great job using direct citations from the text to support your assertions. Every point you made was supported by the text and properly cited! Excellent piece; it made me want to go out and read this book. Nice work.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Writing Feedback / Hypothesis essay on the book, Out of This Furnace