iBT Essay: Finance sports at universities?

esmayli 2 / 5  
I don't agree that we should give the same amount of financial support to social activities and sports at universities as we give to classes and libraries.

Nowadays sports and athleticism is highly professional activities, as are journalism, writing, business, etc. So, succeeding in them needs effort and perseverance. Not many university sports teams or individual student athletes have made their way to a considerable national achievement in sports. This is not surprising considering the high level of professionalism and expertise needed for any outstanding performance in any sports. I can cite an example from my own past. While in college, I was in our university's chess team. I followed the news of chess at the time, and read a few books on chess. I realized that for being a successful chess player, even in on a local scale, one needs to dedicate as much time on studying and practicing chess as a researcher puts into his/her science paper. Most professional chess players spend as much as 12 hours a day examining different chess games and preparing for matches (biographies of Kramnik and Kasparov). To cut a long story short, what I am saying is that one cannot expect too much from a campus student who can afford to spend only a few hours a week on his/her sports. Hence, investment on in such activities does not promise much for the universities. So, I believe that campus sports should not really receive as much financial support as a library for instance.

Also sports and social activities are individual preferences and we need not allocate too much financial support to them. Some people have a passion for journalism, some for pottery making, etc. We cannot accommodate all different activities in universities. And why should we? Universities are for pursuit of science and knowledge. If someone has chosen an academic life, this means that their main objective is other than sportsmanship* sports or craftsman. And if they do have an inclination/compulsion for to/towards them, there are other social bodies to foster that. Universities' job is not to accommodate all personal compulsions.

To sum up, although they are part of any community, I believe that it is not wise to cut the budget for libraries, classes, and other academic pursuits to finance social activities and sports in serious ways.
AngelaB 7 / 14  
"sports and athleticism" ARE..
OP esmayli 2 / 5  
Please stop copy-pasting pre-prepared comments on my essays, dear Dumi!
My essay clearly shows that I know the basics of argumentative essays. But this is not mathematics! The approach you're suggesting is only a suggestion, and not all essays need to fit into that.

The ingenuity of the ideas is far more noticeable here than the form or the structure.
Well, first of all you should have included the full prompt of your essay for us to get a clearer idea as to what it expects from you. Do it next time :)

This is your introduction and you straight away express your opinion assuming that the reader knows about your prompt. I think this approach is wrong. In the intro, you should introduce your topic to the reader. First, begin your intro with a catchy statement (hook) which provides a good entrance to the essay. Then explain the background of the issue and then express your view on the issue.

Home / Writing Feedback / iBT Essay: Finance sports at universities?