TOEFL iBT - Having a teacher or studying along?

trungandhoai 7 / 20  
Which one is better? Wandering or having a tour guide when you are on vacation? While having instruction saves time and energy roaming around provides you the feeling of being an adventurer. It is the same in learning. Studying alone is not always better than having an instructor; however, it provides us with those following advantages: the excitement of discovering something fresh, having more time to thinking, and building our own perception.

Surely, no one could teach you how to ride. What we received were some pieces of advice and we handled the rest ourselves. However, I am sure that no one could forget the feeling when we figured out how to ride on the bike. We felt like there was a whole new world opening right before our eyes. This feeling results from experiencing unexpectedness. Just like the feeling of Archimedes when he discovered the principle of flotation while having a bath. Obviously, no one told him what would happen, which resulted in his exciting reaction.

There is one saying: "Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous." (Confucius). The knowledge absorbed without thinking is just information. Like eating without digesting won't make you healthy. The reason why self-learning gives us time to think is that we can control our pace. In class, we usually have to follow the pace of teachers and others; though, sometimes there are difficult problems which need lots of time to understand. However, not everyone who studies by him/herself is slow in learning. There are many geniuses who overpass their teachers and they do not feel like being in the classes. Take examples of Steve Jobs, Bill Gates who took the advantages of self-studying to enhance their knowledge beyond what taught in schools.

What are the main functions of studying? Each of us may have very different answers; however, every road leads to Rome, learning serves to enhance our perception. Every individual has his own view of the world. While teaching, teachers always want the best for us; thus, sometimes they may shape our perceptions into the way they want. That is not totally bad but will destroy our creativeness. If we just followed what our ancestors did, we could not have the modern world today. Nikola Tesla would not have invented the radio if he had followed other perception that: there was no way to transmit information in the air.

There is no absolutely the best way for study. Every choice has its own drawbacks and advantages. Therefore, based on our characters, our conditions that we will know which one is the most suitable way for us.

P/S: I have one question : WHich one is better? Writing with simple words and clear ideas or writing with bunch of vocabulary? It would be great if you could leave comment to improve my writing and answer to my question. Wish all have a nice day :-)
MoonMoon 7 / 14  
Good work.
hope comments help.

no one could forget the feeling when we figured out how to ride on the bike

i think it is better to say:"no one could forget the feeling when wehe or she figured out how to ride on thea bike"

Each of us may have very different answers

Each of us may have very different answersmay answer it diversly

Nikola Tesla would not have invented the radio if he had followed other perception(use synonyms)

Therefore, based on our characters, our conditions thatand qualifications, we will knowfind which one is the most suitable way for us.
There is one saying: "Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous." (Confucius).

... great; lovely :)

Take examples of Steve Jobs, Bill Gates who took the advantages of self-studying to enhance their knowledge beyond what is taught in schools.

Therefore, based on our characters, ourskills, interests and the conditions, that we will know which one is the most suitable way for us.

I like your independent style of writing.... You present your ideas very creatively. As for your question whether you should use a simple language or more advanced vocabulary, I'm of the opinion that it doesn't matter which way you adopt as long as your essay contains clarity, good ideas and logical reasoning. Displaying that you have a good vocabulary would certainly helps you earn marks, but you need to preserve the clarity of your sentences.

Good Job!

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL iBT - Having a teacher or studying along?