IETLS Writing Task 2: encouraging studying overseas?

chlyee 1 / -  
This is my practice for the IELTS Writing Task 2

Nowadays, many university students choose to study overseas for part or all of their courses.
Some people say this should be encouraged because it is beneficial for students and the universities they attend.

Do you agree or disagree with this view?

Answer:

It is common for university students who desire different learning experiences to study abroad, and the advantages it brought are highly valued by some. I completely agree with the opinion that overseas education should be promoted from the perspectives of students and universities.

Students who study abroad for a semester or a few years can be benefited in several different ways. For those who spend a semester abroad, they can have access to academic resources that couldn't be obtained at their home university. For example, architecture students who are interested in flood risk adaptation may join a laboratory or take courses at a university in the Netherlands, where the most innovative technologies and research related to this topic come from. Furthermore, studying at a foreign university means meeting classmates from diverse cultural backgrounds. Students could enhance their ability of cross-cultural communication by exchanging opinions and discussing in class. Lastly, if students are dedicated to obtaining a foreign degree by spending 4 years in another country, for instance, they will not only grow intellectually. They may leave their comfort zone and learn how to settle down in a totally new environment, and therefore gain experience in tackling numerous obstacles in life independently.

When universities are welcoming students from a variety of countries, they can also take advantage in two aspects. Firstly, it is crucial for the university to pursue cultural diversity nowadays in the context of globalization. Receiving foreign students could lead to a more international academic environment that fosters new ideas, while local students mingle with people and knowledge from all over the world. Secondly, universities can improve the quality of students by accommodating talented students from other countries. If there are more motivated and intelligent foreign students, it thus becomes a valuable chance for the university to advertise itself on the global education stage.

In conclusion, it is certain that an international academic environment benefits both the students and schools for learning and generating knowledge if overseas education is encouraged.
Do not alter the orginal discussion foundation by presenting your opinion in the first paragraph that will make it fail the prompt restatement requirements. The paragraph is expected to state the given discussion points using as close a synonym as possible to represent the original idea. You did not actually do that in the first half of the paragraph. By immediately discussing your opinion, the examiner will have to partially lower the score for that section. Something that will not be good when the sectional scores are added up.

The writer's opinion will also get a lower score because of the incorrect presentation format. There are times when an emotional and measured response in needed, as in the case of an extent question. This is just a simple discussion format so the examiner will not appreciate the exaggerated response. Follow the instructions without alterations. Any changes you make, no matter how simple means lower scores for you.

You did a good job in the discussion part though. Strong reasons were convincingly explained and defended. The writing was well connected in the paragraphs. In fact, the explanations came across as too long for the ceriling requirements. If the examiner overlooks that, then you did a good job in the explanatory portion.

That said, the essay is over written. 333 words may not be completed within 40 minutes. Based on your writing sample, I know you can write a better version. One even more developed within 275-300 words which normally result in a higher overall test score.
tuanb2610 2 / 2  
The structure of your writing is good. You have an argument and example in both paragraphs. However, you put too many examples in one section and your argument is not strong enough to convince.

Home / Writing Feedback / IETLS Writing Task 2: encouraging studying overseas?