IETLS TASK 2 - Houses should follow style of the old houses in the area?

kenmoony 1 / -  
Some people think that newly houses should follow style of the old houses in the local areas, while others think that people should have freedom to build houses of their own styles. Discuss both views and give your opinion.

the older architecture should be protected

Constructing a new house following the old style of other houses in the neighborhood would be a good idea, according to some, other people are of the opinion that the style would be a taste of the owner. In my opinion, I agree with the view that new housing may be built regardless of the surroundings; however, in some cases, regulating a traditional architecture should be considered.

On the one hand, it is undeniable that people have a right to design their house. They are likely to build a house which reflects their characteristics or fits their needs. For instance, a large family with minor children would have a colorful design with a range of recreational functions. Otherwise, a technological engineer tends to be interested in a modern approach with glass and concrete rather than wood and stone in terms of ancient dwellings. Furthermore, the cost of modern materials is less expensive than ancient ones.

On the other hand, there are some benefits when new houses should adopt the existing architectural style of a local area. Regarding cultural heritage, Hoi An, an ancient city in central of Vietnam would be a great example in which attracts a number of tourists each year. It not only creates job opportunities but also be the pride and an iconic image of local residents and the nation as a whole. As a result, people respect its value, they maintain and put an effort to keep its image. Besides, the government has also regulated that any new construction ought to follow the old style of the city.

In conclusion, modern housing developments and innovation are inevitable and the authorities should encourage, but in some certain aspects, inhabitants should respect the style of ancient architecture.

[Happy new year! and thank you for your help!]
StevenSameh1512 8 / 21  
This essay has some issues as the first paragraph doesn't clear for me as you said after (in my opinion, I agree with the view that new housing may be built regardless of the surroundings;) that (; however, in some cases, regulating a traditional architecture should be considered.). I think you must only one side.

"One on hand" not "on the one hand"
"In conclusion, modern housing developments and innovation are inevitable and the authorities should encourage"
there should be a comma after inevitable.
vietduccan 10 / 19 7  
Hi, let's talk about the good things of your essay first. The vocabulary range you used in your essay is excellent and precisely used. Another good point of your essay is that you used a wide range of complex sentences, which will help you to gain score in GRA.

However, talking about the main problem, you did not satisfy the requirement of the topic. This is a discursive essay, therefore, you have to include some phrases like "some people say, it is believed that, it is thought that,..." in your body paragraphs. You have to understand that you are discussing on other's opinions, not your opinion. You does not totally agree with any view of the topic, therefore, it needs a separated paragraph to state. So basically, you need 5 paragraphs for this topic, not 4. Be careful with this mistake because it would make you lose much score in TA.

Home / Writing Feedback / IETLS TASK 2 - Houses should follow style of the old houses in the area?