IETLS GT writing task 1 - Writing to a penfriend

peterc 14 / 52  
Hi all,

This is my 2nd new letter writing. It is an informal letter and hope this one is acceptable. Please help comment on it, and suggest the possible band. Thank you!

You have a penfriend living in another country and he/she is curious to learn about major news items in your country.

Write a letter to your penfriend. In your letter

- greet your friend and say why you are writing
- briefly describe a news story in your country
- explain why people are interested in it

Dear John,

How are you? Haven't heard from you for long. Last time yoiu said you have to do a your professor requested you to study some recent hot news in Asia. Thus, I'd like to share one talk of town with you.

As you know, chinese people become richer now and they tend to look for some quality goods. Certainly they can't easily buy these goods in China, while Hong Kong is their ideal destination to purchase quality goods. As most of them travel to Hong Kong conveniently without any visa application, they frequently come to Hong Kong for shopping.

Guess what they often buy? They not only buy those luxury goods, but also buy household products like shampoo, laundries or even milk powders.

Because of their huge demand on milk powders, most of local moms complain that they can't purchase any milk powders for their babies, and their babies have nothing to eat. Crazy?

As Hong Kong seems to be occupied by mainlanders now, it affects the supply of most of products for local people. Their impacts to locals are really big which arouse the public interests, and become the hot talking point in the city.

I hope this news can help you understand what happen in Hong Kong and good enough for your project. Will keep you posted if I heard any interesting news.

Love,
Haven't heard from you for a long time

Add one more sentence of very personal nature before coming to the point, such as;
I hope you are doing great with your studies.

. Last time yoiu said you have to do a your professor requested you to study some recent hot news in Asia.

.... actually this professor's story is not important because your prompt does not indicate anything of that sort. Simply talk about his curiosity over knowing news in your country;

I thought of sharing some latest news of our country with you as you expressed your curiosity in knowing about us.

As you know, chinese peoplebecomeare becoming richer now and they tend to look for some quality goods.

... Well I think,it is better you talk of some serious news such as political, social, sports etc.... That's how the prompt sounds :)
beyondmtk 9 / 16 4  
most of local moms

==>In IELTS test, it woule be better we do not use this word (you know, not very formal)

Home / Writing Feedback / IETLS GT writing task 1 - Writing to a penfriend