Do images and impressions have too much of an effect on people?

tiantian12 8 / 47  
An English adage states that "Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, but sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent." It is a well worn cliché in our era in which everything truly insightful has already been said. Our ancestors who coined this adage were sending a clear and powerful message to their descendants: Impression and images are not the main factors that determine what kind of people we are. Nor does it judge our behavior. Indeed, it is our actions that reflect our inner thought and decide which category of people we belong to. It is our true horizon that proves our values in this world.

Impression can merely offer people a vague contour of a person we recently met, but it does not always remain unchangeable as long as we delve into the deep side of a person's character and his achievement. The prestigious theoretical British physicist who is renowned for his contribution to the fields of cosmology and quantum gravity, Stephen William Hawking, unfortunately suffered from the amyotrophic lateral sclerosis which forced him to maintain his life with the help of technical devices. The first time I saw his "shocking" image in my science textbook, I was totally paralyzed. Lying on side of his wheel chair with a stiff smile on his face all the time, he could only write on a computer with small movements of his body and then speak what he has written with a voice synthesizer. However, the impression of a frail patient has vanished completely whereas the veneration arose spontaneously after I listened attentively to the speech which was about his dedication to the study of ultimate mystery --- black hole. Despite his misfortune of physical defects, he is the strong man of life. Our recognizance on people or things thing can be transformed totally so far as we understand more. Impression dose barely interferes with our further perception of others.

We can be confused by our impression on others at first, but ultimately it is other people's behavior and action that reveal true levels of their ability and diathesis. My brother used to have a girlfriend who was astonishingly enchanting with a constant fascinating smile. She exceeds other girls with her charming appearance but under her deceptive exterior actually lays a cruel mind. Being egocentric and apathetic, she never has sympathy for poor people and even achieves the sense of achievement by shouting at miserable beggars. What's more, she laughs at those injured animals and even takes pictures of them just for fun. Finally, No one in my family even my uncle can bear such a selfish and brutal person like her and that's why they broke up. Impression is spontaneous image of others formed at the instant that we meet the person, but that impression will never last forever and won't have much effect on our judging. Further communication and deeper understanding are the more effective methods that can enable us to touch the true characteristics of a person.

I am a high school student in china. I know my english is not that good so I hope I can get some tips about how to improve my writing here! Many thanks!
judas 4 / 21 2  
For being a high school student in China, your English rocks. I hope I can be of some service to you. Your essay contains a few grammatical errors.

but sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent."---> but sometimes one creates a significant impression by remaining silent.

It is our true horizon that proves our values in this world.
(This sounds funny. What do you mean by "horizon"?)

The first time I saw his "shocking" image in my science textbook, I was totally paralyzed
(The word shocking does not need to be in quotes. I think you should remove the word altogether. Find another word for paralyzed too. It makes the sentence sound awkward)

Despite his misfortune of physical defects, he is the strong man of life---> Despite his misfortune of physical defects, he is a strong man.

Our recognizance on people or things thing---> Our image of people

We can be confused by our impression on others at first
(You are confusing the use of the word "on" with "of")

That's all I can spot for now. Good luck on your essay!
OP tiantian12 8 / 47  
Thank you so much for your correction! ^_^
I will work harder to improve it!
Our recognition of people or things thing can be transformed totally when we begin to understand more. Past impression dose barely interferes with our future perception of others.

How about that?

For most of the essay, I think it's brilliant. You write very well in English! The meaning of this essay is fascinating, too.

Make it neat and rhythmic by getting rid of awkward parts:
Further communication and deeper understanding are the more effective methods that c an enable us to touch the true characteristics of a person.
OP tiantian12 8 / 47  
EV Kevin~thank you for your encouragement. I really appreciate your help.
I will work harder to improve my writing!!^_^

Home / Writing Feedback / Do images and impressions have too much of an effect on people?